From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Chaplaincy to expatriate Nigerian Anglicans launched in US

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2003 14:56:43 -0500

March 11, 2003

2003-053

Episcopalians: Chaplaincy to expatriate Nigerian Anglicans
launched in US

by Jan Nunley

(ENS) When the Rev. Gordon Okunsanya meets the bishops of the
Episcopal Church during their spring retreat at the Kanuga
Conference Center at the end of this week, an idea born at
Kanuga just two years ago will have come full circle.

Okunsanya, interim rector of St. Paul's in Flint, Michigan,
begins his ministry as the Episcopal Church's chaplain to
Nigerian expatriates this month, offering bishops across the US
opportunities to consult with him about the best way to minister
to Nigerian and other African immigrants living in their
dioceses.

Son of the Nigerian bishop of Ondo, the Oxford-educated
Okunsanya is uniquely equipped to understand the issues bishops
face, said the Rev. Patrick Mauney, director of the church's
office of Anglican and Global Relations. Okunsanya is trained in
both conflict management and church growth. He's also
experienced as a deployment and transition officer, serving in
the Diocese of Milwaukee as the bishop's deputy for
congregational development, deployment and pastoral care and as
canon administrator for the Cathedral of St. Paul in Detroit.

An American-African partnership

The idea for a specifically Nigerian chaplaincy in the US grew
out of conversations between American bishops and the Archbishop
of Nigeria, Peter Akinola, following the Primates Meeting at
Kanuga in March 2001. Akinola later toured four US
dioceses--Texas, Southern Ohio, Michigan, and Chicago--where
there are significant Nigerian immigrant populations. The
chaplaincy program is firmly established in the UK, where there
are already Nigerian-focused student chaplaincies at such
locations as Lancaster University and the University of
Greenwich.

Presiding Bishop Frank Griswold visited Nigeria in January 2002,
conducting a retreat for the Nigerian House of Bishops that
allayed fears about the American leader's "liberalism" fueled by
Internet gossip. In April 2002, Akinola met with the bishops at
Camp Allen for further conversations. There, and in subsequent
gatherings, Akinola laid out his plan for the chaplaincy as a
partnership between ECUSA and the Church of Nigeria, in which
the chaplain is jointly responsible to the Primate of Nigeria
and to the Presiding Bishop of ECUSA.

As it stands today, the chaplaincy is funded through a
three-year commitment from four major donors: the dioceses of
Texas and Southern Ohio, the Church of Nigeria, and the
Presiding Bishop's discretionary fund. Other US bishops have
been asked to contribute. Currently Okunsanya serves on a
contract basis, but an "optimal budget," said Mauney, would
enable him to work in the chaplaincy full-time. He'll be
accountable "to the bishop he's working with, to the Presiding
Bishop through the Office of Anglican and Global Relations, and
have conceptual accountability to the Primate of Nigeria,"
Mauney explained. The chaplaincy will also maintain connections
to the Black Ministries office, currently being restructured,
and to the Africa Partnership Office.

In his address to the Church of Nigeria's 7th General Synod in
September 2002, Akinola announced the establishment of the
chaplaincy "to look after the religious and spiritual interests
of Nigerian Anglicans" in the US. "We do not intend to stop in
America," Akinola told the gathering. "Plans are fast afoot to
establish similar chaplaincies in other parts of the globe."
Akinola cited South East Asia (including Singapore, Malaysia,
Thailand, and Indonesia), Europe, Russia, and other parts of
Africa as potential sites for similar Nigerian Anglican
chaplaincies.

Largest Anglican church in the world

Christianity came to Nigeria in the 15th century through the
efforts of Augustinian and Capuchin monks from Portugal.
Anglicanism followed in 1842, brought by the Revs. Henry
Townsend and Samuel Ajayi Crowther (a Yoruba ex-slave) of the
Church Missionary Society. Crowther was elected bishop in 1864
and posted to the see of the Niger. The sixteen dioceses in
Nigeria were constituted into the Province of Nigeria in
February 1979, and the fast-growing church was split into three
provinces in September 1997.

Now with 18 million members, the Anglican Church of Nigeria is
estimated to embrace some 12 to 15 percent of the total
population of Nigeria, said Mauney, so it's possible there are
"an extraordinary number" of Anglicans among Nigerian immigrants
to the US. "A lot of our bishops had noticed an increasing
number of Nigerian parishioners over the years in places like
Chicago, New York, Houston, and other urban centers," said
Mauney. "I was stunned to hear that there could be as many as a
couple of million Nigerian expatriates in this country."

Many Nigerians in the US don't know that ECUSA is "their
church," Mauney said. Those who do may not be comfortable with
the predominantly Anglo-Catholic worship style of churches in
Chicago and other urban centers, which does not reflect the
evangelical emphasis of Nigerian Anglicanism. There is also
concern that lonely Nigerians may seek out local expressions of
one of the so-called "prosperity churches" exported by US
televangelists to Nigeria in the 1970s, charismatic
congregations which emphasize wealth and healing as signs of
God's approval and are especially popular in southern Nigeria.

The American way has been to establish minority-language
congregations, but Akinola prefers that the chaplaincy keep
worship in English, which is Nigeria's official language, Mauney
said. Nigeria is one of Africa's most culturally and
linguistically diverse countries, with eleven major
ethnolinguistic groups and 350 or more languages spoken. "Where
he is coming from is a real issue within Nigeria, which is the
dangers of fragmentation of the church there and their witness
because of the ethnicities and linguistic groups," said Mauney.
"He did not want to see that exported."

But other Anglophone Africans would be welcome too. "We're
starting with Nigeria and Nigerians. But what about all the
Kenyans and Ghanaians and Liberians?" Mauney pointed out. "Where
we wound up was, let's begin with the Nigerian community because
it's large and this is where the initiative came from, but
gradually we're hoping that the chaplain will be able to assist
the bishops with Africans in general." Whether the chaplaincy
would encourage church plants with a distinctive African worship
style or incorporation into existing congregations would depend
on the situation in each diocese.

Working through the Episcopal Church

Akinola "has been very clear that he wants to see this as a
partnership with the Episcopal Church, rather than an overseas
branch of the Church of Nigeria," Mauney said, adding that
Akinola has little sympathy for the tactics of the Anglican
Mission in America. In an July 2001 interview conducted by Canon
Emmanuel Adekola of Church of Nigeria News, the archbishop
explained that his initial reaction to the AMiA idea was
positive, but that as time went on he did not see "any tangible
effort being made" by AMiA leaders towards reconciliation with
the Episcopal Church. "I will not support any schismatic or
separatist agenda for any Church, be it America, Singapore or
Uganda or anywhere for that matter," Akinola said.

A subsequent trip to four US dioceses convinced him that "if
what I saw [in those dioceses] was what obtained in other parts,
then I don't know what people are talking about, in terms of
crisis in the American church." To the insinuation that his
change of heart was motivated by "favors" from American
Episcopalians, Akinola pointed out that he was "one of the few
leaders who spoke out vehemently against General [Sani] Abacha
at the risk of my own life...There is no price tag on my head. I
am not leading a beggar Church."

During his 2001 trip, Akinola also met with the Rev. Augustine
Ogbunugwu and his dissident congregation in Houston for three
days. The group grew out of a Sunday afternoon worship for
African immigrants established by the Diocese of Texas at
Houston's Church of the Epiphany in 1999. "But because of their
hidden agenda, no sooner had I left Houston than they pulled out
of ECUSA to join AMiA," he said. "To be an Anglican in part
means you are in communion with the See of Canterbury. AMiA is
not in communion with the See of Canterbury as a church. So, by
breaking away from ECUSA, Augustine Ogbunugwu has broken
communion with the Church of Nigeria."

In January of this year, Benjamin Nwankiti, recently retired
Archbishop of the Church of Nigeria's Province Two, attended the
AMiA's winter conference in Pawleys Island, South Carolina and
announced his intention to take up residence at the Houston
congregation. Nwankiti apparently did not contact Texas bishops
Claude Payne or Don Wimberly in advance of his decision. In
February, Griswold wrote to Akinola at the latter's request
describing the situation.

"The reason [Akinola] asked for this letter was that he had
gotten word that this retired archbishop was coming to do this
and was at the AMiA conference in January, and he wanted to
bring it up with his council and say 'We don't approve of
this,'" Mauney explained. "And so he told [Bishop Griswold] and
said it would be helpful to have a letter. He says, 'If we're
going to work with Nigerians in this country, it has to be
through the Episcopal Church.'"

------

--The Rev. Jan Nunley is deputy director of Episcopal News
Service.