From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3344 Archbishops' Appeal to Political Leaders over Iraq

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2003 23:26:14 -0000

ACNS 3344     |     IRELAND	|     12 MARCH 2003

Archbishops' Appeal to Political Leaders over Iraq

[Church of Ireland Press Office] In a joint statement the Archbishop of
Armagh, Dr Robin Eames, and the Archbishop of Dublin, Dr John Neill, today
urged the United Nations Security Council to uphold the principles of the UN
Charter in working to resolve the Iraq crisis.

The Archbishops said, "While we acknowledge the iniquities of the regime in
Iraq and the complexities of the current situation, we hold the view that
war in Iraq will deepen a humanitarian crisis of grave magnitude, with
untold human suffering and loss of life, especially for the children of
Iraq; it will lead to loss of infrastructure, together with serious damage
to the environment; it will reinforce and polarise division and hatred
between communities resulting in further destabilisation of the region and
of the international community.

"We urge the United Nations Security Council to uphold the principles of the
UN Charter that strictly limit the legitimate use of military force, and to
refrain from lowering the thresholds for using violent means to solve
international conflicts; and urge the British and Irish Governments to
express clearly their support for the upholding of the fundamental
principles of the UN Charter.

"We appeal to the political leaders of the United States and the United
Kingdom to refrain from military action against Iraq without the clear
mandate of the United Nations Security Council.

"We call on people everywhere to engage in prayer that the leaders of the
nations may be guided towards a peaceful resolution of the conflict in
Iraq."

For details about the Enthronement of the 104th Archbishop of Canterbury,
the Most Revd Rowan D Williams, visit http://www.anglicancommunion.org/

ACNSlist, the email edition of Anglican Communion News Service, is
published by the Anglican Communion Office, London. QUESTIONS or COMMENTS
may be sent to: acnslist@anglicancommunion.org

You may subscribe to acnslist or unsubscribe at: