From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Thrivent Foundation Grants $1 Million to ELCA Leaders' Fund

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2003 12:00:14 -0600

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

March 12, 2003

THRIVENT FOUNDATION GRANTS $1 MILLION TO ELCA LEADERS' FUND
03-044-JB

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Thrivent Financial for Lutherans Foundation
approved a $1 million "challenge grant" to the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America (ELCA) Fund for Leaders in Mission, an endowment
designed to provide scholarships to support ELCA seminary students.
     The Thrivent Financial for Lutherans Foundation is a private
foundation funded by Thrivent Financial for Lutherans, based in
Minneapolis.  The Fund for Leaders in Mission is administered through
the ELCA Foundation, which encourages lifelong stewardship in support of
all ministries of the church.
     Grant funding is contingent on the ELCA Foundation's ability to
raise an additional $2 million in external funding.  The grant will be
distributed over a two-and-one-half year period beginning March 1 and
ending Aug. 31, 2005.
     "We recognize the importance of attracting and encouraging young
people with gifts for ministry to our Lutheran seminaries in preparation
for ministry without the burden of significant debt," said Tim Schwan,
vice president and executive director, Thrivent Foundation.  "The
Thrivent Financial Foundation believes this challenge grant will assist
in raising up a new generation of leaders within the ELCA."
     "The Thrivent Foundation challenge is a powerful catalyst that
positions the ELCA to grow the Fund for Leaders in Mission endowment
significantly in the next two years," said Cynthia Halverson, director
of the ELCA Fund for Leaders in Mission.  "We have made good progress in
the first three years of this initiative, but there is continued
urgency.  The burden of educational debt weighs heavy on too many
students and young rostered leaders.  We are working hard to build this
scholarship resource so that many more students can receive the benefit
of this churchwide support."
     The ELCA Fund for Leaders in Mission is an endowed scholarship
resource created to support the theological education and preparation of
future leaders for the church.	When fully endowed the Fund will support
full tuition for every qualified student at an ELCA seminary who has a
commitment to ordained or lay ministry within the church, Halverson
said.
     The Fund for Leaders in Mission was approved by the 1997 ELCA
Churchwide Assembly in Philadelphia.  Initial funds came from grants of
$500,000 each from Aid Association for Lutherans and Lutheran
Brotherhood, the predecessor organizations of Thrivent Financial for
Lutherans.
     The goal of the Fund is to raise a $200 million endowment and to
increase current scholarship support for students, Halverson said.  In
three years, the Fund has awarded 40 full-tuition scholarships totaling
$445,000.  During the same time, the Fund has received more than $14
million in gifts and deferred-gift commitments, she said.
     In 2003 the challenge grant amount is $250,000, in 2004 it will be
$425,000, and in 2005 it will be $325,000, Schwan said.  New money
raised by the ELCA Foundation for the program will be matched 50 cents
on the dollar.	In addition, funds raised by the ELCA Foundation for the
program must be new money from new sources, he added.
     "The power of such a partnership could not be directed to a more
urgent and important task than that of preparing a new generation of
leaders with a passion for mission and ministry," said the Rev. Mark S.
Hanson, ELCA presiding bishop.	"The Thrivent Financial for Lutherans
Foundation grant is more than a challenge; it is an opportunity for each
of us to respond with greater involvement and support in the shared task
of preparing public leaders to proclaim the gospel to a broken world."
     "We are pleased to continue our partnership with Thrivent
Financial for Lutherans as we encourage and support future leaders for
the ELCA," continued Halverson.  "The challenge grant provides a
wonderful opportunity for individuals, congregations and synods to
increase the impact of their gifts with a one-for-two dollar match.  The
grant will also enable the ELCA to reach the goal of significantly
increasing the number of students we can assist by 2007."
-- -- --
     Information about the Fund for Leaders in Mission is at
http://www.elca.org/fo/fundforleaders on the Web.

     Information about the Thrivent Financial for Lutherans Foundation
is at http://www.thrivent.com/fraternal/foundation on the Web.

For information contact: