From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: ABASA Meeting Provides Affirmation of Seminary Education

From "SCHRAMM, Richard" <Richard.Schramm@abc-usa.org>
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2003 10:44:21 -0500

American Baptist News Service (Valley Forge, Pa. 3/14/03)--The recent annual
meeting of the American Baptist Association of Seminary Administrators
(ABASA) provided affirmation of the importance of seminary education and
explored mission opportunities as a component of that education.

At the gathering in Charleston, S.C. last month, American Baptist Churches
USA General Secretary the Rev. Dr. A. Roy Medley engaged participants in
discussions on the role of theological schools within the life of the
denomination.  Seminary presidents and deans had an opportunity to share
with him in identifying the priorities, challenges and visions facing
American Baptist churches and their denomination, as well as leadership
training in related schools.

"The meeting was a wonderful opportunity for me to offer my vision for the
denomination, and, in turn, to be inspired and challenged by these leaders
who are nurturing the future shepherds of our congregations," Medley said.
"I want American Baptists to know how committed our theological schools are
to preparing those leaders for effective, Christ-centered ministry.  To be
among these creative administrators, and to experience their vision,
confirmed my sense of confidence in the preparation of American Baptist
church leaders."

ABASA President Dr. Thomas E. Clifton, president of Central Baptist
Theological Seminary, noted: "ABASA provides a context for our American
Baptist-related seminaries to form a shared vision for preparing church
leaders and offers a needed forum for helping to create a new vision for
relevant theological education."

Other invited guests for the meeting included Dr. David M. Brown, Global
Service Ministries team leader for American Baptist International
Ministries, and Dr. Jeff Sharp, International Ministries missionary in Hong
Kong.  They discussed opportunities that are available for faculty and
students to engage in a mission context during seminary training years and
sabbatical leaves.  Several seminaries have taken their faculty to mission
locations in recent years.

Also at the meeting, Dr. L. Dean Allen from Andover Newton Theological
School was elected to the ABASA executive committee, joining Dr. Thomas E.
Clifton of Central Baptist Theological Seminary; Dr. Charles Moore of
Northern Baptist Theological Seminary; and Dr. J.T. Roberson of Shaw
University Divinity School.

Ten theological schools are related to American Baptist Churches USA:
American Baptist Seminary of the West, Berkeley, Calif.; Andover Newton
Theological School, Newton Center, Mass.; Central Baptist Theological
Seminary, Kansas City, Kans.; Colgate Rochester Crozer Divinity School,
Rochester, N.Y.; Eastern Baptist Theological Seminary, Wynnewood, Pa.;
Evangelical Theological Seminary of Puerto Rico, San Juan, P.R.; Morehouse
School of Theology, Atlanta, Ga.; Northern Baptist Theological Seminary,
Lombard, Ill.; Samuel DeWitt Proctor Theological Seminary of Virginia Union
University, Richmond, Va.; and Shaw University Divinity School, Raleigh,
N.C.

K/2003ABNS/03ABN38

American Baptist News Service: Office of Communication, American Baptist
Churches USA, P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851; (800)ABC-3USA x2077
/ (610)768-2077; fax: (610)768-2320; www.abc-usa.org;
richard.schramm@abc-usa.org