From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCC urges churches to light candles for peace

From "NewsDesk" <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2003 13:56:14 -0600

March 14, 2003	News media contact: Kathy Gilbert7(615)742-54707Nashville,
Tenn.  10-71B{140}

A UMNS Report
By Ann Whiting*

The National Council of Churches is urging all Christian congregations in the
United States to participate in special Candle Lighting Peace Vigils,
beginning March 16.

The NCC is joining with Anglican Archbishop Desmond Tutu and the Win Without
War coalition in calling for a Global Candle Lighting Peace Vigil at 7 p.m.
local time March 16. That same night, a peace rally and concert will be held
at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, featuring folk singers Peter, Paul and
Mary, along with Tutu and the Rev. Robert Edgar, top staff executive of the
NCC.

Churches are being encouraged to continue the vigils with every worship
service thereafter. So far, nearly 3,200 vigils have been scheduled in 100
countries for March 16, according to the NCC's Web site.

"In the next few days and weeks, decisions will be made at both the White
House and the United Nations, which may or may not lead our nation into war
with Iraq," said the Rev. Robert Edgar, a United Methodist clergyman. "These
difficult days call for special prayers and peace vigils to remind ourselves
and our Christian brothers and sisters that we must still pray and work for
peace."

The NCC's Web site at www.ncccusa.org offers prayers, responsive litanies and
Bible readings for congregations to use.

"It is hoped that these Candle Lighting Peace Vigils will serve to remind all
of us of the importance of working for peace and give us courage and strength
to continue the fight for justice," Edgar said. "... Maybe we can start a run
on candles instead of duct tape!"
# # #
*Whiting is editor of the Michigan Christian Advocate, the newspaper of the
United Methodist Church's Michigan Area.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org