From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Church leaders issue pastoral letter on war

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 19 Mar 2003 15:14:12 -0500

Note #7628 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

Church leaders issue pastoral letter on war
03142
March 19, 2003

Church leaders issue pastoral letter on war

Presbyterians urged to place their trust in Jesus Christ

by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE - With a U.S.-led war against Iraq all but certain, three leaders
of the Presbyterian Church (USA) have issued a pastoral letter to all
Presbyterians, calling for prayer and fasting in support of all who will be
in danger in the event of war.

The March 18 letter is signed by the General Assembly moderator, the Rev.
Fahed Abu-Akel, the PC(USA)'s stated clerk, the Rev. Clifton Kirkpatrick, and
John Detterick, executive director of the General Assembly Council.

It acknowledges that Presbyterians "represent many different views regarding
the best response to the threats posed by Saddam Hussein," and urges members
of the denomination "to remember that our ultimate security is in the One who
says to us: 'Take courage, I have conquered the world' (John 16:33)."

The full text of the pastoral letter:

Dear Sisters and Brothers,

We write to you today with heavy hearts, believing that short of a miracle,
the beginning of full-scale military action against Iraq is imminent. In his
address Monday night, our President left little room for the fading hope that
war could be avoided.

We know that as the specter of war hangs over us all, those for whom it is
most painful are those who find themselves in imminent danger, including U.S.
military personnel prepared for combat, Iraqi soldiers ordered into place to
defend their country and the citizens of Iraq who will find themselves the
unintended objects of destruction and death. We cannot help but think, also,
of all the families, churches, businesses, and other communities whose
circles have been broken by the call to bear arms. Though we know all too
well the real toll of every war, it is our fervent prayer that God will offer
protection to all those who are placed in harm's way by decisions not of
their own making.

As we are in the midst of Lent and looking toward Holy Week and Easter, we
call upon you to join us in prayer and fasting for all these named above, and
also for the leaders of our nation, the leaders of Iraq and of all the
nations of the earth. We are praying especially for those leaders in whose
hands lie both the implements of war and the instruments of peace. We dare to
hope that whatever military action there is will be brief and that when the
destruction has ended, the community of nations will come together to bring
restoration. We urge Presbyterians to be in the forefront of efforts to
rebuild Iraq, to support the United Nations and to work for peace and justice
in the Middle East.

We are a diverse church, called into life by the Triune God, who is known to
us in Jesus Christ. We represent many different views regarding the best
response to threats posed by Saddam Hussein. Yet we are one in our faith in
Jesus Christ as both the source of our salvation and the ground of our
security. We urge you to remember that our ultimate security is in the One
who says to us, "Take courage; I have conquered the world" (John 16:33).

We know that you will be gathering in many places in the weeks ahead to pray,
to study, perhaps to grieve and to support one another. Please take advantage
of the resources that are available to you on our church's web site,
www.pcusa.org/iraq. Many of these have been prepared for such a time as this.

"And the peace of God that surpasses all understanding keep your hearts and
your minds in Christ Jesus."   (Philippians 4:7)

In the love of Christ and the hope of His Resurrection,

Fahed Abu-Akel, Moderator
Clifton Kirkpatrick, Stated Clerk
John Detterick, Executive Director

*** For instructions on using this system (including how to UNJOIN this
meeting), send e-mail to mailrequests@ecunet.org