From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3357 Statement by the Archbishops of Canterbury and York on

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Thu, 20 Mar 2003 13:27:39 -0000

ACNS 3357     |     LAMBETH PALACE     |     20 MARCH 2003

Statement by the Archbishops of Canterbury and York on conflict with Iraq

The Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams, and the Archbishop of York,
Dr David Hope, today issued the following joint statement:

"The road that has led us to military action with Iraq has been a long and
difficult one. It is clear that we have now entered dangerous new terrain
with consequences that cannot be surely known or predicted. Our prayers at
this difficult and troubling time are with all those who will find
themselves embroiled in conflict and its consequences. We pray for
servicemen and women and their families, those who seek to support and to
sustain them, and for the people of Iraq and the region, whose immediate
future is so uncharted.

"Above all we pray that through God's mercy and compassion, peace with
justice may come swiftly."

For details about the Enthronement of the 104th Archbishop of Canterbury,
the Most Revd Rowan D Williams, visit http://www.anglicancommunion.org/

ACNSlist, the email edition of Anglican Communion News Service, is
published by the Anglican Communion Office, London. QUESTIONS or COMMENTS
may be sent to: acnslist@anglicancommunion.org

You may subscribe to acnslist or unsubscribe at: