From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3358 Church prays for speedy resolution of war in Iraq

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Thu, 20 Mar 2003 13:35:42 -0000

ACNS 3358     |     ENGLAND	|     20 MARCH 2003

Church prays for speedy resolution of war in Iraq

[The Church of England] Following the outbreak of military action the Bishop
of Southwark, the Rt Revd Tom Butler, Chairman of the Church of England's
Community and Public Affairs Unit, has issued a statement saying:

"I am greatly saddened that diplomatic efforts to ensure Iraq's compliance
with relevant United Nations Security Council resolutions have been adjudged
to have failed and that the Government now considers it necessary to
participate in the use of military force to disarm Iraq.

"Like all concerned people, my thoughts and prayers are with those members
of our armed services currently serving abroad as well as with their
families at home. I commend the courage, commitment and professionalism of
those men and women who serve in the armed forces - as well as the chaplains
and other support staff who serve alongside them. I pray, too, for wisdom
and guidance for our political leaders as they face the difficult decisions
ahead of them. Finally, I pray for the people of the Middle East that out of
this crisis might arise the conditions for a just and lasting peace for all
its people.

"In seeking to resolve this conflict and to provide the basis for a lasting
and just peace in the region, the international community must revitalise
the Middle East Peace Process, based on the twin principles of a secure
Israel and a viable Palestinian state."

For details about the Enthronement of the 104th Archbishop of Canterbury,
the Most Revd Rowan D Williams, visit http://www.anglicancommunion.org/

ACNSlist, the email edition of Anglican Communion News Service, is
published by the Anglican Communion Office, London. QUESTIONS or COMMENTS
may be sent to: acnslist@anglicancommunion.org

You may subscribe to acnslist or unsubscribe at: