From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Church World Service Board of Directors on War in Iraq

From "Church World Service News" <nccc_usa@ncccusa.org>
Date Thu, 20 Mar 2003 11:43:31 -0500

Church World Service Board of Directors on War in Iraq
March 19, 2003, New York City
Adopted During Its March 18-19 Winter Board Meeting

For Immediate Release

In concert with ecumenical bodies across the U.S. and worldwide, Church
World Service has opposed and continues to oppose this preemptive war
against Iraq.  As an ecumenical humanitarian organization that has been
engaged in relief, development, refugee assistance, and advocacy for more
than 50 years, Church World Service knows well the human cost of modern
warfare, especially to the most vulnerable.  From our faith in Christ and
God's love for all people, we believe that this war is wrong and unjust.

We affirm the mandate of the United Nations.  Our understanding of and
respect for international law leads us to consider this action an
illegitimate means of solving the current crisis and a serious violation of
the United Nations Charter.  This war will have horrendous humanitarian
consequences in terms of death and human suffering, and could potentially
destabilize the entire Middle East, as well as have profound repercussions
throughout the world.	We lament any misconception that this crisis
reflects a conflict between Muslims and Christians.

Church World Service has for many years had an established ongoing
partnership in providing humanitarian service to the people of Iraq, and is
acutely aware of the tremendous deprivation and oppression that the Iraqi
people have suffered over many years.  We will continue our commitment and
presence; therefore, our humanitarian services should not be seen as
acquiescence to the war.  We will respond on the basis of human need,
working through our established partners in the region, including the Middle
East Council of Churches.

We are profoundly saddened by the recourse to war.  This is not a moment for
triumphalism, but for humility and repentance.	Our prayers are with the
Iraqi people, members of the armed forces, the leaders of our own nation,
and the international community.  The people of Iraq must be given hope that
there are alternatives to both dictatorship and war.

								    ###

MEDIA CONTACTS: 	Carol Fouke/New York
Phone: (212) 870-2252/2227
e-mail: news@ncccusa.org