From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3364 Churches urged to strengthen Muslim ties after attack

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Thu, 20 Mar 2003 18:50:57 -0000

ACNS 3364     |     SCOTLAND	 |     20 MARCH 2003

Churches urged to strengthen Muslim ties after attack

[The Scottish Episcopal Church] Churches across Scotland were today urged to
strengthen their ties with Muslim communities in their towns and cities
following the start of hostilities against Iraq. The seven bishops of the
Scottish Episcopal Church will, this afternoon, write to more than 500 of
their own ministers and church leaders calling on them to "extend to our
Muslim brothers and sisters our commitment to friendship and mutual
respect." The move follows a series of meetings between the country's
religious leaders over the past year. Religious leaders from all traditions
have worked hard to build better relations to ease tensions that arose in
some communities following the September 11 attacks.

The Most Revd Bruce Cameron, the Primus of the Scottish Episcopal Church,
said, "At the heart of both our faiths is a desire for peace. Let that be
the sign between us in the coming days."

The Primus, who is also bishop of Aberdeen & Orkney, added, "As military
action in Iraq begins, my immediate prayers and thoughts are with those who
will be caught up in the horrific human consequences of this war - both the
people of Iraq and our forces and their families.

"It is a war which, in my view, should not have happened. But I pray it will
come to a swift end and that our leaders in Britain and the US will commit
as much time and resources to the building of the peace afterwards.

"The search for peace must continue otherwise war becomes an end in itself
and that can never be right.

"The ultimate goal is not the determination of Saddam Hussein's future or
the destruction of the weapons that Iraq may or may not have. It is securing
sustainable peace and justice for the people of the Middle East."

For details about the Enthronement of the 104th Archbishop of Canterbury,
the Most Revd Rowan D Williams, visit http://www.anglicancommunion.org/

ACNSlist, the email edition of Anglican Communion News Service, is
published by the Anglican Communion Office, London. QUESTIONS or COMMENTS
may be sent to: acnslist@anglicancommunion.org

You may subscribe to acnslist or unsubscribe at: