From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Publishing House makes resolutions use easier

From "NewsDesk" <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Thu, 20 Mar 2003 15:37:17 -0600

March 20, 2003 News media contact: Kathy Gilbert7(615)742-54707Nashville,
Tenn.	10-71B{161}

NOTE: This report may be used as a sidebar to UMNS story #160.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (UMNS) - The United Methodist Publishing House is making it
easier for churches and organizations to use material from the 2000 Book of
Resolutions for study, worship or advocacy.

The agency is granting permission to reproduce in whole or part up to five
resolutions on any one topic in any single publication or electronic product.

"Particularly in view of the current discussions about war and peace, about
the ethics of new biomedical possibilities, about how we care for the
creation and about how we care for those among us who are needy, excluded or
victimized, we want to make it as easy as possible for people to access the
resolutions and use them in their ministries," said Harriett Jane Olson, a
staff executive for the Publishing House.

Under the new rules, permission is granted to any churchwide agency, bishop's
office, annual conference or United Methodist congregation with these
provisions:

7	Each use shall contain the words "used by permission" and shall
contain the ) symbol, the date and "The United Methodist Publishing House",
as follows: Copyright ) 2000 The United Methodist Publishing House. Used by
permission.
7	Resolutions may be offered on the Web or in any electronic format for
up to 90 days.
7	The grant of permission shall not apply to any work that is offered
for a fee or with any cost to the user, other than a fee for the costs of
mailing or duplication.

Uses that don't meet the provisions may still be permitted after applying to
the Publishing House at permissions@umpublishing.org or by mail at
Permissions Office, the United Methodist Publishing House, 201 8th Ave. S.,
P.O. Box 801, Nashville, TN  37202.
# # #

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at: