From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

GOAA - Encyclical of the Holy Eparchial Synod on the War in

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 20 Mar 2003 16:10:14 -0800

GREEK ORTHODOX ARCHDIOCESE OF AMERICA
8-10 East 79th St. New York, NY 10021  Tel: (212) 570-3530 Fax: (212)
774-0215
Web: http://www.goarch.org Email: communications@goarch.org

March 20, 2003

Lord of the Powers, be with us.
For in times of distress,
we have no other help but You.
(Hymn of the Great Compline Service)

Protocol 34/03

The Holy Eparchial Synod of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

To the Most Reverend Hierarchs, the Reverend Priests and Deacons, the Monks
and Nuns, the Presidents and Members of the Parish Councils of the Greek
Orthodox Communities, the Day and Afternoon Schools, the Philoptochos
Sisterhoods, the Youth, the Hellenic Organizations, and the entire Greek
Orthodox Family in America

Beloved Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

As the Holy Eparchial Synod of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America,
we address you at  a critical time in the life of our nation and our world,
assuring you of our deep concern and fervent prayers during this difficult
and uncertain period of conflict and war in Iraq.  We call upon all of you,
as people of faith and peace, to gather in prayer in your homes and
parishes so that we may be united in the peace of our Lord Jesus Christ,
the source of our strength and solace.

Following the exhortation of the Apostle Paul, we pray unceasingly that the
peace of God may abide everywhere on our planet Earth and that places of
conflict may be transformed into places of life and freedom. We pray for
the courageous men and women who serve in our armed forces and who face
uncertain dangers and the threat of death.  May God grant them and their
families assurance and strength. We pray for the safety of all who
peacefully inhabit areas of conflict, especially for the innocent children
of our world, for their well-being, and for the realization of the
beautiful potential of their lives as human beings created in the image and
likeness of God.  Further, we pray that the wisdom of God may abide in the
hearts of the leaders of our nation as they make decisions that will
undoubtedly affect millions of human beings. We painfully understand the
enormous challenges and responsibilities they must face.

The Church affirms that war, terrorism, hatred, and intolerance are the
tragic results of sin and evil in a suffering world, and that these place
tremendous spiritual and physical burdens upon each and every person.  Yet
in the weariness of conflict and struggle in the world, we take solace in
the comforting words of our Lord Jesus Christ: "Come to me, all you who are
weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest" (Matthew
11:28).  Our Lord, the Lord of the Powers,  is embracing each one of us in
distressful times such as these, so that we might find serenity and help in
Him.

Our journey through the season of the Great Fast, one that coincides with
the ordeal of war, leads us to the foot of the Cross where we become once
again witnesses of the Crucifixion of our Lord.  In His bruised and
battered face we behold all of the sufferings of humankind, and our hearts
are pierced anew with the violence and inhumanity of our world.  However,
we remain with every assurance that as He prevailed over sin and death, His
promises of enduring peace, heavenly joy, and eternal life will be
fulfilled.   We look to the Life-Giving Cross, a "weapon of peace" and a
standard of love, as a source of strength and inspiration.  In the midst of
violence, God's power and presence is with us, just as it was when His Son
offered His sinless life for our salvation.  May each of you know that the
conflicts of our lives and our world can be resolved when the spiritual
peace and sacrificial love of the Cross exist among nations and within the
lives of people.  Further, may you be strengthened with hope and assurance
that the sad conditions of this world will pass away and all things will be
made new within the reality of the Kingdom of God, wherein "nation shall
not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more"
(Isaiah 2:4).

Beloved Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

We call upon all Orthodox Christians to be steadfast in prayer and service
during this Lenten season, offering our worship to God and our ministry to
all those in need. Let us pray together for reconciliation among nations,
for the establishment of justice, and for the restoration of peace.  In
faithful commitment to God and in love for others, let us bring solace and
peace into the lives of our fellow human beings through acts of charity and
words of kindness.  May we be willing to offer sacrificially for the
spiritual and physical needs of others.  In the days before us, may His
goodness and love for all humankind reassure, strengthen, and guide all of
you, and may "the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, keep
your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:7).

With paternal love in Christ,

  +DEMETRIOS
Archbishop of America

+IAKOVOS