From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3367 Christian and Muslim Leaders plea for peace

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Fri, 21 Mar 2003 08:40:05 -0000

ACNS 3367     |     BRITAIN AND IRELAND     |	  21 MARCH 2003

Christian and Muslim Leaders plea for peace

Churches Together in Britain and Ireland and The Muslim Council of Britain
yesterday issued this joint statement:

Over recent months, there have been many expressions of concern from both
Christian and Muslim leaders about the developing crisis over Iraq. They
encouraged all involved to weigh carefully the human costs and other likely
consequences of war, pleaded for the UN process to be respected in the
interests of upholding international law, and counselled that another way of
ensuring Iraq's compliance with UN Resolutions might be identified and
agreed - while being firm in their abhorrence at the nature of the Saddam
Hussein regime. This resort to war reflects, therefore, our collective
failure.

The military action that began today is not something that either faith
community wanted to see. It is entirely contrary to their hopes and prayers.
As representatives of Churches Together in Britain and Ireland and The
Muslim Council, we stand together in our desire to see military action ended
as quickly as possible.

In this time of crisis and deep disappointment, it is vitally important
that, despite the occasional unhappy use of 'crusade' language by some
American political leaders, none should see the conflict as one between
faiths.

Both here and in Iraq more than one faith community is present.
Relationships between our own religious communities could suffer from rising
tension in the wake of hostilities developing between what, sadly, many in
the world see as the 'Christian West' and 'Muslim East'. We must exercise
the utmost caution to prevent opportunist elements from exploiting this
state of affairs. Indeed, now that war has started, there is an even greater
responsibility for Christians and Muslims to maintain bonds of harmony one
with another and to pray for all caught up in the conflict.

Advice on contacting local churches and mosques can be sought from The
Muslim Council and Churches Together in Britain and Ireland.

Signed on behalf of CTBI
Dr David Goodbourn
General Secretary of Churches Together in Britain and Ireland

Signed on behalf of MCB
Iqbal AKM Sacranie
Secretary General of The Muslim Council of Britain

For details about the Enthronement of the 104th Archbishop of Canterbury,
the Most Revd Rowan D Williams, visit http://www.anglicancommunion.org/

ACNSlist, the email edition of Anglican Communion News Service, is
published by the Anglican Communion Office, London. QUESTIONS or COMMENTS
may be sent to: acnslist@anglicancommunion.org

You may subscribe to acnslist or unsubscribe at: