From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Disciples News Brief

From "Wilma Shufitt" <wshuffit@cm.disciples.org>
Date Fri, 21 Mar 2003 11:51:06 -0500

Date: March 21, 2003
Disciples News Service
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Contact: Melinda Mains
Phone: 317-713-2496
E-mail: mmains@cm.disciples.org
on the Web: http://www.disciples.org

Disciples News Brief
March 21, 2003

A Time for Prayer

As we begin to sense even greater vulnerability for ourselves, our
community, our country and the world we share, we as Christians know the
power of prayer.  That is why we are encouraging each of you to take
time each day to stop and pray.  Each day at noon -- whatever time zone
you may find yourself in, stop for five minutes, close our eyes and say
a prayer for our church, our country and our world until the threat of
war is no more.

We still look for peace: resources from Disciples in faithful response
to the war in Iraq. The site includes a statement from General Minister
and President Richard Hamm, an interactive worship service, and
resources for families and children.
http://www.homelandministries.org/PEACE/index.htm

Easter Special Day Offering

As the season of Lent is upon us, we look with hope to the new life of
Easter.  "Give New Life" is the theme for the 2003 Easter Special Day
offering.  Make plans now for how your congregation, youth group, bible
study, women's or men's group can participate and support this offering.
Offering dates: April 13-20.  Resources available at:
http://www.churchfinancecouncil.org/pages/dmf/easter03/index.htm

Pension Fund and DHM Coordinate Efforts in the Search and Call Process

The Pension Fund of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and
Disciples Home Missions have reached an agreement to coordinate the
listing of persons available for ad interim and supply ministries in
DHM's Office of Search and Call, effective April 1, 2003.  The shifting
of responsibilities from the Pension Fund to the Office of Search and
Call is intended to enhance the distribution of information among
regions, congregations and placement candidates and to integrate this
process as part of regular Search and Call procedures. Ministers
currently available for ad interim ministry will be required to complete
Search and Call forms available from DHM. The Pension Fund will continue
to promote ad interim ministry among current and future retirees.

CCF Distributes $10.5 Million for Ministry

More than $10.5 million was distributed for ministry in 2002 by your
Christian Church Foundation. Another $1.9 million was sent out as
payments to individuals under life-income agreements, or to specific
non-Disciples charities identified by donors.

That means the Foundation distributed more than $12.5 million in 2002,
the second most in the Foundation's 41-year history.

"In the last two years the Foundation has distributed in excess of $22
million for ministry to congregations, regions, general units and other
manifestations of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)," said the
Rev. James P. Johnson, Foundation president. "That figure includes $1.5
million designated by donors for Basic Mission Finance, which is now
called Disciples Mission Fund."
For the full story: http://www.disciples.org/ccf/About_Us/CCFnews.html

New Plans Announced by Churches Uniting In Christ (CUIC)

The Coordinating Council of Churches Uniting in Christ (CUIC) held its
third meeting since the inauguration of the new relationship of church
unity by nine American churches in Memphis last year.  To assist
grassroots implementation of this renewed relationship, representatives
introduced new communication resources including a video, a study
pamphlet, and an informative brochure. Though complex issues will need
to be resolved regarding the reconciliation of ordained ministries,
members of the Ministry Task Force are hopeful that by 2007 their labors
will provide foundational agreements that will eventually lead to Full
Communion among these member churches.
For the full story: http://www.disciples.org/ccu/news/031703.htm