From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3370 Statement from the President Bishop of the Episcopal

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Fri, 21 Mar 2003 19:00:59 -0000

ACNS 3370     |     MIDDLE EAST     |	  21 MARCH 2003

Statement from the President Bishop of the Episcopal Church of Jerusalem and
the Middle East and Bishop of Cyprus and the Gulf

Together with countless people around the World, we in the Middle East have
been urging that war is not the solution to the situation in Iraq. Our
hearts are deeply saddened, therefore, that war has broken out. The concern
of people throughout this region now is for a swift resolution of this
conflict with minimal damage and loss of life.

We shall continue to pray for all persons in any way caught up in this
conflict. Among them, especially, we remember all the people of Iraq, the
citizens of surrounding countries and those who live among them, and the
service men and women and their families as they fulfil the duty laid upon
them.

We are deeply concerned that this should not be seen as a conflict between
Christians and Muslims. We live and work with one another in many areas of
society and pledge ourselves to do all in our power to combat the forces
which would seek to polarise our faiths.

We urge the world's leaders, and especially those of the United States of
America and the United Kingdom, to commit themselves wholeheartedly to the
building up of Iraq and the establishment of a just society. If this is to
have any credibility, and a ring of justice, there must be a serious
tackling of the tragic issue of Israel and Palestine. The establishment of
two States, already agreed in principle, must be pursued immediately. This
is a fundamental concern of people throughout the Middle East, no matter
what their nationality.

The Most Revd Clive Handford

For details about the Enthronement of the 104th Archbishop of Canterbury,
the Most Revd Rowan D Williams, visit http://www.anglicancommunion.org/

ACNSlist, the email edition of Anglican Communion News Service, is
published by the Anglican Communion Office, London. QUESTIONS or COMMENTS
may be sent to: acnslist@anglicancommunion.org

You may subscribe to acnslist or unsubscribe at: