From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3371 Pastoral letter from Archbishop Peter Jensen

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Sat, 22 Mar 2003 20:30:13 -0000

ACNS 3371     |     AUSTRALIA	  |	22 MARCH 2003

Pastoral letter from Archbishop Peter Jensen concerning the war in Iraq

[Anglican Media Sydney] The Scriptures teach us that God is a sovereign and
just God who rules and weighs the affairs of the nations (e.g. Psalm 99). We
are also taught to pray for "kings and all those in authority that we may
live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness" (1 Timothy
2:1-4).

The outbreak of war in Iraq constitutes a solemn moment, with many dangers
and threats and potential for great human suffering. There are strongly held
differences of opinion about our participation in this war. For my own part
I remain unpersuaded that we ought to have committed our military forces,
but I recognise the limitations of my judgment and the sincerity of those
who differ.

How should we respond to the present situation as Christians? What is
important now is that Christian people everywhere be united in praying for a
speedy and just resolution to the conflict. We should also be praying for
our military personnel and for the people of Iraq. We need to ask God that
good and just government will be the outcome of the war in this unhappy
country. Since the government has alerted us to the threat of terrorism we
should also pray for God's protection against those who would attack us in
our own country.

We should recognise also that this is not a war against Islam either at home
or abroad. In particular, the Muslim people who live amongst us have all the
rights of full citizens of our country, and deserve our respect, concern and
practical demonstrations of love at this time.

The Bible teaches us that both individuals and nations are judged by God. It
would be right to pray for his mercy on us all and ask him for his righteous
wisdom, particularly for those who have the responsibility of leading us.

The advent of war has brought fear and division into our community. It is
right to remember that the government is God's agent set over us for our
good and that our military personnel are obeying the lawful authorities
(Romans 13:1). It is important that we do not blame them for this war
whatever our views may be. Finally, in the midst of fear and anxiety we
ought to remember that the Lord rules over the affairs of human beings and
that we may trust him and his wisdom at all times.

Peter F Jensen
Archbishop of Sydney

For details about the Enthronement of the 104th Archbishop of Canterbury,
the Most Revd Rowan D Williams, visit http://www.anglicancommunion.org/

ACNSlist, the email edition of Anglican Communion News Service, is
published by the Anglican Communion Office, London. QUESTIONS or COMMENTS
may be sent to: acnslist@anglicancommunion.org

You may subscribe to acnslist or unsubscribe at: