From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Heads of NCC, Two Muslim Organizations Issue Joint Statement on Iraq

From "Carol Fouke" <carolf@ncccusa.org>
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2003 19:28:46 -0500

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.
NCC Media Contact: 212-870-2252
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

March 24, 2003 - The General Secretary of the National Council of Churches,
Secretary General of the Islamic Circle of North America and Secretary
General of the Islamic Society of North America today issued the following
joint statement:

Muslims and Christians Unite in Prayer and Concern

We are deeply saddened that military action against Iraq has begun.  We pray
now for a quick conclusion to this war, for the loss of as few lives as
possible, and for peace.  In the darkness of war, let us be guided by faith
and hope, and continue to act as responsible citizens and peace-builders.

We pray for the people of Iraq, and grieve for those who may now bear more
tragedy in addition to the severe hardships and loss of loved ones suffered
over the last twelve years.  We pray as well for all those serving in the
armed forces, that they may return home to their families safely and soon.

We pray for the leaders of our nation, and of the international community,
that they may be guided by God to uphold peace, and allow Gods mercy to
influence their policies and actions.

We will provide humanitarian assistance to those affected by this war,
whether refugees fleeing combat, or those displaced or in need within Iraq.
That we do this is not in any way an acquiescence to, or affirmation of this
war, which we continue to view as an unjustified, unwise and pre-emptive
rather than necessary course of action.  We provide humanitarian aid as an
expression of our shared commitment to all Gods people.

We are concerned that control of humanitarian aid and the reconstruction of
Iraq is to be placed with the U.S. Department of Defense.  We ask that a
civilian and multinational authority be named to oversee this work.  We also
urge that any use of Iraqs territory or resources be authorized by a
representative body of the Iraqi people under international supervision.

We welcome the assurance of President Bush that this action is undertaken
with respect for [Iraqs] citizens, for their great civilization, and for
the religious faiths they practice.  We must confess, however, that we are
concerned about the possible long-term consequences of this war.  Not only
will the war bring destruction of the infrastructure of Iraq, but we fear it
may further destabilize the Middle East, exacerbate anti-American sentiment,
and create ideal conditions for the growth of extremism and the propagation
of a new wave of terrorists.

We call on all of our people, on our national leaders and all law
enforcement authorities to protect the safety of every member of every
community here in the United States.  May we work together to prevent acts
of hatred and to discourage hate speech and any other manifestations of a
backlash against certain groups of people because of their ethnic origin
or religion. May we also uphold together the American tradition of tolerance
for dissent, including that of opposition to this war.

We are particularly concerned about the possibility of detentions of certain
groups of people, and especially those who have come here to the U.S. to
seek asylum from political and religious persecution elsewhere in the world.
The proposed detention of asylum seekers on the basis of religion or
national origin, as proposed in the Department of Homeland Securitys
Operation Liberty Shield, alarms us.	Singling out groups or individuals
based on ethnicity, country of origin or religion will only promote distrust
and hysteria, and not make us safer.

May God alone, the Lord of all the worlds, the ever-merciful, guide us on
the straight path, protect those in harms way, and bless our efforts toward
peace.

Mr. Naeem Baig
Secretary General
Islamic Circle of North America