From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Presiding Bishop Meets Pope John Paul II

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Tue, 25 Mar 2003 15:44:52 -0600

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

March 25, 2003

ELCA PRESIDING BISHOP MEETS POPE JOHN PAUL II
03-062-JB

     VATICAN CITY (ELCA) -- The Rev. Mark S. Hanson, presiding bishop
of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), called for the
possibility of "limited interim Eucharistic sharing" between Lutherans
and Roman Catholics in a brief meeting here March 24 with Pope John Paul
II.   Currently, it is not possible for Lutherans to commune in most
Roman Catholic congregations.  ELCA congregations generally welcome all
who believe in Jesus Christ and are baptized to participate in Holy
Communion.
     Hanson, who is visiting here for the first time, made his comment
in a 15-minute audience with the pope in a meeting room near St. Peter's
Basilica.  Hanson and 20 other leaders and representatives of the ELCA
met with the pontiff and shared formal statements.
     Hanson greeted the pope on behalf of the 5.1-million member ELCA
and Lutheran World Federation (LWF), a global communion of 136 Lutheran
churches in 76 countries.  The LWF's worldwide membership includes 61.7
million Lutherans.  The ELCA is an LWF member.
     Acknowledging the pope's statement that prayer is important for
the ecumenical movement, Hanson said Lutherans "pray that Lutherans and
Roman Catholics will continue to grow closer together" and "look for
ways to celebrate our baptismal unity."  One possible "door" to full
communion with Roman Catholics is limited interim Eucharistic sharing,
Hanson said.
     "Truly, the sacramental presence of our Lord might be an
instrument of healing," he said.  Hanson called for a "new Pentecost in
our time" so that the Holy Spirit might unite our diversity of language,
history and experience.
     Hanson emphasized the ecumenical commitment of the ELCA to seek
full communion with all Christian denominations.  He asked that
Lutherans and Roman Catholics use the time before 2017 --  the 500th
anniversary of the Protestant Reformation -- "for mutual reflection and
that we will seek together real and substantive steps toward even
greater reconciliation."
     Hanson said the 2017 observance must not be a time "of celebrating
our division," but it should focus on "our growing understanding and
affection for each other."
     Though Pope John Paul II did not address Hanson's specific
requests, the pontiff focused most of his comments on church unity.
"May your visit confirm you in your commitment to the cause of Christian
unity," the pope said in his response.	"The quest for full communion
among all Christians is a duty which springs from the prayer of the Lord
himself."

BOTH LEADERS COMMENT ON KEY AGREEMENT, PEACE
     Hanson and the pope pointed specifically to the signing of the
Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of Justification as a signal of
greater unity between the two Christian churches.  The signing was the
culmination of several years' work in which the two churches reached a
common understanding on justification, agreeing that believers are saved
by faith in Jesus Christ and not necessarily by works.
     With the signing on Oct. 31, 1999, in Augsburg, Germany, the
churches settled a disagreement that had its beginnings in 1517. Martin
Luther, a German monk, publicly disagreed with the Roman Catholic Church
on several theological issues, including justification.  His writings
led to the Protestant Reformation of the church.
     "The joyous celebrations throughout our land, upon the signing of
the Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of Justification, are great
testimonies to the love and hope that we may be able to move under the
guidance of God's Spirit to greater unity in faith and life," Hanson
said.
       "We have come to appreciate more deeply the fellowship existing
between Lutherans and Catholics, which led to the Joint Declaration
signed in 1999," said Pope John Paul II.  "In that document we are
challenged to build on what has already been achieved, fostering more
extensively at the local level a spirituality of communion marked by
prayer and shared witness to the gospel."
     The two church leaders commented briefly on the U.S.-led war with
Iraq that began last week.
     "Our hearts are heavy laden as the world again experiences the
tragedy of war," said Hanson, an opponent of the war.  The ELCA's
resolve to work for peace remains strong; its prayers for peace are
fervent, he said.  "May the deepening of our unity in Christ reflect our
commitment to God's will for peace for the whole creation," Hanson said.
     Noting the world situation is filled with "danger and insecurity,"
the pontiff said all Christians "are called to stand together in
proclaiming the values of the Kingdom of God.  The events of recent days
make this duty all the more urgent."
     Hanson thanked the pope for his desire that divisions within the
church be healed.  He praised the pontiff for his "concern for the poor,
his commitment to justice for all people and his passion for the young
people of the earth."  Hanson presented the pope with a framed mosaic
design of the ELCA emblem.
     The 82-year-old pontiff gestured his appreciation to Hanson for
the ELCA presiding bishop's remarks.  "I join you in praying that
Almighty God will bestow upon the world that peace that is the fruit of
justice and solidarity.  Upon you and your families I cordially invoke
God's blessings," the pope's statement concluded.
     The two church leaders exchanged brief greetings and the pontiff
presented a memento to each of the ELCA representatives as the audience
concluded.
     Having the opportunity to meet and address Pope John Paul II "was
a deeply emotional moment for me," Hanson said afterward.
     Hanson and the ELCA delegation were here as part of an "ecumenical
journey" during which the presiding bishop is meeting world church
leaders in several European countries, March 14-31. He said he plans to
use the meetings to emphasize the ELCA's commitment to ecumenism and
said he will thank the church leaders for their efforts to seek peace.
-- -- --
     The Department for Ecumenical Affairs has its home page at
http://www.elca.org/ea on the ELCA Web site.  The text of the Joint
Declaration on the Doctrine of Justification and related resources are
available at
http://www.elca.org/ea/ecumenical/romancatholic/jddj/jddj.html on the
Web.

For information contact: