From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

GOAA - Presidential Proclamation for Greek Independence Day

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2003 14:49:45 -0800

GREEK ORTHODOX ARCHDIOCESE OF AMERICA
8-10 East 79th St. New York, NY 10021
Tel: (212) 570-3530 Fax: (212) 774-0215
Web: http://www.goarch.org
Email: communications@goarch.org

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 26, 2003
Contact: Nikki Stephanopoulos

GREEK INDEPENDENCE DAY CELEBRATED IN
NATION'S CAPITAL WITH CEREMONY
AND PRESIDENTIAL PROCLAMATION

Washington, DC - Over 150 people gathered in Washington on Tuesday, March
25 for Greek Independence Day and to receive the Presidential proclamation
declaring the day "A National Day of Celebration of Greek and American
Democracy". (Text attached)

In a ceremony conducted in the Eisenhower Executive Office Building of the
White House, His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios, Primate of the Greek
Orthodox Church in America, joined Secretary Andrew Card, White House Chief
of Staff, in acknowledging the significance of the day for Greeks,
Americans, and all people throughout the world.

In his remarks the Archbishop thanked the President and Secretary Card for
the "generous offering" of the Proclamation and stated, "This year Greek
Independence Day falls within an extremely critical period for our country
and for the entire world, a period of a conflict focused on peace, security
and freedom, with enormous consequences for us as well as for our children
and our grandchildren."  The Archbishop also noted the connection of Greek
Independence Day with the Feast of the Annunciation, an event that revealed
"God's direct involvement in establishing salvation?total liberation,
absolute freedom, and final victory?for humankind over all kinds of hostile
powers that aim at enslaving humanity.	Greek Independence Day offers new
vistas to our understanding of freedom, and sheds ample and redeeming light
on all noble fights for freedom, past, present, and future.  We need this
light today more than at any other time before." (Text attached)

Secretary Card, in his remarks, extended to all in attendance the regrets
of President George W. Bush who was unable to attend this year's event, the
third of his presidency.  Secretary Card acknowledged the Archbishop as
"someone who has provided great comfort to the President and his staff" and
thanked him for his leadership and "ministry of faith and hope" following
the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.

Speaking on the occasion of Greek Independence Day, the Secretary affirmed
that "this is a great day to honor the legacy of liberty that unites
America and Greece; and it is a good time to celebrate the friendship
between our two countries.  It's a deep and lasting friendship, founded on
the common ideals of freedom, justice, and the dignity of every human
being."  He also acknowledged the contribution Greeks have made to the
American nation by stating,  "The sons and daughters of Greece have
enriched America with their enduring faith, zest for life, and
entrepreneurial skills."

Others in attendance included CIA Director George Tenet, George Savvaides,
Ambassador of Greece to the US, Erato  Kozakou-Marcoullis, Ambassador of
the Republic of Cyprus to the US, and Assistant Secretary of State Barbara
Spyridon Pope, who had hosted a reception at the State Department on the
previous day.  Also in attendance were many prominent Americans and
Greek-Americans who were either government officials or leaders, members
and staff of Hellenic organizations and the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of
America.

The events of the day began with Archbishop Demetrios celebrating a
Hierarchical Divine Liturgy and Doxology at St. Sophia Cathedral.
Following the proclamation ceremony, the Archbishop met with Senate
Majority Leader Bill Frist and Senate Minority Leader Thomas A. Daschle at
the Capitol building. The two Senators conveyed their congratulations on
the celebration of Greek Independence Day and expressed their gratitude for
the contributions of Greek-Americans and the Greek Orthodox Church.  The
day concluded with a reception hosted by Greek Ambassador George Savvaides.

THE WHITE HOUSE

Office of the Press Secretary

GREEK INDEPENDENCE DAY:  A NATIONAL DAY OF
CELEBRATION OF GREEK AND AMERICAN DEMOCRACY, 2003

BY THE PRESIDENT
OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

A PROCLAMATION

After nearly 400 years of rule by the Ottomans, Greece declared its
independence on March 25, 1821.  Long before that, ancient Athenians
created a Greek culture that valued human liberty and dignity, and modern
Greeks have demonstrated that preserving freedom is a powerful motivating
force.	Today, on Greek Independence Day, we recognize the ancient Greek
influence in framing our own Constitution and celebrate the Greek-American
heritage that continues to strengthen our communities and enrich our
society.

Bound by history, mutual respect, and common ideals, America and Greece
have been firm allies in the great struggles for liberty.  Our countries
fought together in every major twentieth-century war, and today, we remain
united in the war against terror that threatens the future of every nation.
We are working together to achieve peace and prosperity in the Balkans and
southeastern Mediterranean.  As the current president of the European
Union, Greece is also playing a critical role in our efforts to confront
many other global problems that affect our nations and our world.

Our commitment to the friendship between our two nations has grown from
strong bonds of tradition and shared fundamental values.  On Greek
Independence Day, I encourage all Americans to recognize the countless
contributions Greek Americans have made to our country. Embodying the
independence and creativity that have made our country strong, their proud
history is a source of inspiration for our Nation and our world.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of
America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and
laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim March 25, 2003, as Greek
Independence Day:  A National Day of Celebration of Greek and American
Democracy.  I call upon all the people of the United States to observe this
day with appropriate ceremonies and activities.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this eighteenth day of
March, in the year of our Lord two thousand three, and of the Independence
of the United States of America the two hundred and twenty-seventh.

GEORGE W. BUSH

Address
By His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios of America
To The President of the United States
Mr. George W. Bush
On the Occasion of the Proclamation For Greek Independence Day
Washington, D.C. - March 25, 2003

Secretary Card,

We, the Greek Orthodox Community of America, are for one more time the
recipients of the precious Proclamation on the solemn occasion of Greek
Independence Day.  This Proclamation, which the President kindly issued and
signed, contains important ideas and insights related to fundamental issues
that we face in today's world.	The President has our profound gratitude
for this generous offering to the Community, the third of his Presidency.
This year, however, Greek Independence Day falls within an extremely
critical period for our country and for the entire world, a period of a
conflict focused on peace, security and freedom, with enormous consequences
for us as well as for our children and our grandchildren.

Because of the truly unique domestic and international circumstances, the
commemoration of Greek Independence at this time acquires a very special
significance, conveying, among other things, two particularly vital
messages to all of us.

The first is a message related to the concepts, ideals, and realities, of
freedom, liberty, and independence.  The Greek Independence War of 1821 was
not an accidental phenomenon.  It was an integral part of a long history of
at least 5000 years.  For 5000 years, prior to 1821, the Hellenic people,
though small in number, managed to survive consecutive ordeals of gigantic
proportions.  But this nation did not merely survive.  It created culture
and civilization; it created science and philosophy; it created politics,
arts and literature of unsurpassed beauty, value, and duration.  The
guiding principle for such achievements was the total commitment, the
absolute adherence, and the uncompromising dedication to freedom in all its
aspects and manifestations.  This was not a limited understanding of
freedom.  This was an understanding of freedom as freedom to acquire the
maximum of knowledge, the best in artistic production, the ideal in
political and civic life, and the beautiful in personal development for any
human being.

It was precisely this understanding of freedom that led the Greeks,
enslaved for four centuries, to stand up on the 25th of March, 1821,
against the mighty Ottoman Empire, and, despite all predictions to the
contrary, to achieve freedom and independence.	Thus, the message of Greek
Independence Day is a message of a freedom understood in a way that goes
far beyond a political or ethnic understanding, and encompasses the whole
human being and its unique and inalienable place on Earth.  It is this
sense of freedom that is alive and operative in this great country of the
United States of America, especially in the present critical time in human
history.

The second message conveyed by Greek Independence Day is the dimension of
the transcendent and the supernatural added to the concept of freedom.	The
uprising for independence by the Greeks in 1821 was integrally connected
with the great Christian Feast of the Annunciation celebrated on March
25th.  The essence of this feast is the announcement of God's will to
become incarnate, to enter human history as one of us in order to offer
ultimate freedom, i.e. freedom from the human existential barriers of evil,
sin, guilt, and death.	Thus, the feast of the Annunciation reveals God's
direct involvement in establishing salvation, which in reality is total
liberation, absolute freedom and final victory for humankind over all kinds
of hostile powers that aim at enslaving humanity.  In this sense, Greek
Independence Day offers new vistas to our understanding of freedom, and
sheds ample and redeeming light on all noble fights for freedom, past,
present, and future.  We need this light today more than at any other time
before.

Once again, Mr. Secretary, accept our thanks for honoring our community.
Please convey our gratitude to the President and assure him that he has our
continuous love and our fervent prayers for divine protection and guidance
as he bears the tremendous responsibility of leading our blessed country of
America in the path of the truly sacred cause of peace, security, and
freedom for all.