From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] (Budget) balancing act

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 27 Mar 2003 16:04:13 -0500

Note #7641 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

(Budget) balancing act
03158

(Budget) balancing act

$3.14 million budget-cut plan is ready for GAC approval

By Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE - Senior staff of the Presbyterian Church (USA) have finished
work on a plan to cut the 2004 General Assembly mission budget by $3.14
million.

"It's done. We've accomplished it. It's balanced," John Detterick, executive
director of the General Assembly Council (GAC) told the Presbyterian News
Service on March 26.

The plan must be approved by the full GAC on April 5 and by the 215th General
Assembly when it meets in Denver in May.

Although details are sketchy, the reduction was accomplished by trimming
$1.47 million from mission programs and support services at the Presbyterian
Center here, and deciding to use of $1.67 in reserves - $900,000 from a
bequest, and the balance from the Presbyterian Mission Program Fund (the
denomination's cash reserve account).

Nineteen staff positions are affected - 10 national staff members will
receive "involuntary separation," and nine vacant positions won't be filled.

"We won't do it this way again," Detterick said. "These cuts were not made
with a strategic focus." Once the GAC completes its "visioning" process, he
said, "We will build a framework for a more strategic approach."

That approach will focus on the four priority goals established by the
General Assembly several years ago - evangelism, justice, spiritual formation
and partnership. "We have to ask where and to what in the world today are we
called as a community of faith to direct our resources," Detterick said.

He acknowledged that this is probably not the last budget cut at the national
level of the PC(USA). "We're in a paradigm shift about how the church funds
its mission," he said. "All parts of the church are feeling the pressures.
The challenge is to meet the world's needs and be faithful to our traditional
calls as Presbyterians."

Those being laid off will receive preliminary notification on March 28, and
will be given the opportunity to go on paid leave at that time. Formal notice
of involuntary separation will be given on April 7, the Monday after the GAC
budget vote. April 11 will be the last day of work for those whose jobs are
ending.

Volunteer pastors from Mid-Kentucky Presbytery will be at the Presbyterian
Center on March 28 and March 31 to offer pastoral care to employees. Career
Transition Services staff will be present after April 14 to provide career
counseling to those who lose their jobs.

*** For instructions on using this system (including how to UNJOIN this
meeting), send e-mail to mailrequests@ecunet.org