From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3377 An open letter to our communities on the outbreak of

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Mon, 31 Mar 2003 12:56:03 +0100

ACNS 3377     |     ENGLAND	|     28 MARCH 2003

An open letter to our communities on the outbreak of war in Iraq

As local leaders of the Christian and Muslim religions, two great world
faiths, we stand shoulder to shoulder in our concern for our world at this
dangerous and fearful time. We are both saddened that diplomacy has failed
and that we have entered into a war, the outcome of which none of us can
predict.

We pray that God's compassion and mercy may be his gift to us all, especially
to those who now find themselves fighting one another in the theatre of war.

We acknowledge that we human beings are bound to hold various opinions about
the legitimacy and wisdom of this war, but our fervent hope for the people of
our communities is that we do not allow ourselves to be divided against one
another, especially by that hatred which forgets that we are all children of
the one God, whatever our religion or our ethnic identity.

The people of Iraq have suffered at the hands of a dictator, but let us not
allow his inhumanity to infect us! Let us stand together, and pray for the
long-suffering people of Iraq, that they may soon live in a country free from
war, free from fear, and once more a full member of the community of nations.

Bishop Laurie Green	    Brother Sarfraz Sarwar
Bishop of Bradwell	    Basildon Islamic Centre

For details about the Enthronement of the 104th Archbishop of Canterbury,
the Most Revd Rowan D Williams, visit http://www.anglicancommunion.org/

ACNSlist, the email edition of Anglican Communion News Service, is
published by the Anglican Communion Office, London. QUESTIONS or COMMENTS
may be sent to: acnslist@anglicancommunion.org

You may subscribe to acnslist or unsubscribe at: