From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Episcopal Church continuing its commitment to ecumenical dialogue

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Tue, 1 Apr 2003 15:57:58 -0500

April 1, 2003

2003-071

Episcopalians: Episcopal Church continuing its commitment to
ecumenical dialogue

by James Solheim

(ENS) The Episcopal Church's patient participation in and
commitment to ecumenical dialogue, with the stated ultimate goal
of full communion, continues on several levels with different
partners. Progress is sometimes slow but participants eagerly
mark each successful marker along the way.

At the national and international level, Episcopalians and
Anglicans regard dialogue with the Roman Catholics as very
important--and quite successful over the years in sweeping away
some of the dead timber of misunderstanding and stereotypes.

"We're down to the important issues now, the bedrock, where our
reasons for staying separate must be for reasons of the highest
magnitude," said Prof. J. Robert Wright of the General
Theological Seminary, using an expression of Roman Catholic
theologian Karl Rahner. "And we do believe there are some issues
that mean we must stay apart for the time being--but with a
resolve to face those issues head on with renewed vigor because
we can see more clearly the issues that divide us."

Wright said the dialogues with the Roman Catholics and the
Orthodox are "theologically the two deepest ones for us because
there is something deep in our Anglican mentality where we know
we belong with them, that we are a part of each other.
Episcopalians express more discomfort over differences with
Roman Catholics because we know these two churches are meant to
be one," he said.

In May of 1999, the Anglican-Roman Catholic International
Commission (ARCIC) released a statement "The Gift of Authority:
Authority in the Church," exploring the specific ways that the
two churches believe that the community of faith says "yes" to
God. "There is no turning back in our journey towards full
ecclesial communion," the statement says, calling on both
parties to "make more visible the koinonia we already have" and
to explore new forms of joint exercise of authority among the
ordained and the laity.

The statement also asks the Anglican Communion to consider a new
relationship with the authority of the bishop of Rome,
suggesting an interim period of association with the papacy as
one step along the way. Presiding Bishop Frank T. Griswold, who
is now co-chair of the international dialogue through ARCIC,
said after the statement was released that the catholicity and
unity of the church already exist in the mind of God so it's not
up to us to create them but rather yield up our various
traditions to the motions of the Holy Spirit.

Dialogue in a changing world

At the regular semi-annual meeting of the Anglican-Roman
Catholic Consultation in the USA (ARC-USA), participants noted
that "the world situation has changed radically since the
publication of The Gift of Authority in 1999. We nevertheless
believe that the commitment to ecumenical relations among
Christians has a positive contribution to make in times of
conflict and vulnerability. In this context the bishops of our
two churches have expressed their concern for peace in our
country and in the community of nations," said that final
statement, an assessment and response to "The Gift of
Authority."

"The Gift of Authority sketches a rich ecclesiology of
communion, in which the many and varied gifts of the community
are integrated into the Gift who is Jesus Christ himself to the
honor and glory of God," the statement said. In a section
addressing concerns, however, the statement noted that "the
idealism and optimism of the document, though praiseworthy, do
not take sufficiently into account the concrete difficulties on
the path to full agreement regarding the matters under
discussion or the historical instances of authority's abuse." It
mentioned the role of bishops in the two churches, as well as
the role and participation of the laity, as areas of further
concern.

Chaired by Bishop Edwin Gulick of the Episcopal Diocese of
Kentucky and Archbishop William J. Levada of the Catholic
Archdiocese of San Francisco, participants in the March 27-30
meeting agreed unanimously that the churches "ought to move
ahead, theologically and practically, toward the goal of full
communion." It was the 54th meeting of ARC-USA since it was
established in 1965.

Relationships and trust

Commenting on the meeting, Bishop Christopher Epting, deputy for
ecumenical and interfaith relations for the Episcopal Church,
said, "While recognizing that we cannot go as far right now as
'The Gift of Authority' suggests, I think ARC-USA wanted to take
up document's challenge to begin living out the 'real but
imperfect communion we share' even as we continue the
theological dialogue so necessary for full communion. This is
consistent with the approach of the new International Anglican
Roman Catholic Commission on Unity and Mission (IARCCUM). I hope
we can find ways to make that happen."

After noting that it hasn't addressed "some of the thorny
theological issues" in the statement on authority, ARC-USA
concluded, "We are convinced, however, that the most productive
context for dealing with outstanding divisive issues is a
relationship of mutual understanding, trust, and affection,"
expressing gratitude for the statement's "invitation to deepen
our relationship."

The response from ARC-USA named issues requiring further
investigation before Anglicans and Roman Catholics can take
those steps toward a deeper communion. Among the issues are
identifying the essential elements essential for full communion,
the relationship between Anglicans and the bishop of Rome. Since
Anglicans have serious reservations about the doctrine of
infallibility, the response asked for further clarification on
the issue.

CUIC seeks to resolve ministry issue

The Consultation on Church Union, a church unity effort by nine
US churches with roots that go back 40 years, launched a new
plan in Memphis January 20, inaugurating a new effort called
Churches Uniting in Christ--with more realistic goals in light
of continuing roadblocks to church unity. "Today we celebrate a
brave new beginning of a new journey," said Jeffrey Newhall, the
last president of COCU. "We don't know where it will take us,
but now we know we will all get there together."

COCU's vision was based on a 1960 sermon at San Francisco's
Grace Cathedral by Dr. Eugene Carson Blake of the United
Presbyterian Church calling for a new church that would be
"truly catholic and truly reformed." At the official formation
of COCU two years later, participants agreed to add "truly
evangelical" to Blake's formula. It began as a movement for
organic union but COCU later abandoned its hopes for a merger
and looked for ways to establish closer ties among the churches
without giving up their own identity.

One of the major challenge now for CUIC is to resolve differing
views of ministry among the nine participants--the African
Methodist Episcopal Church, the African Methodist Episcopal Zion
Church, the Christian Methodist Episcopal Church, the Christian
Church (Disciples of Christ), the Presbyterian Church USA, the
United Church of Christ, the United Methodist Church, the
International Council of Community Churches and the Episcopal
Church. (The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and the
Moravians are partners in mission and dialogue but not full
members of CUIC and the Roman Catholics send an official
observer.) Until the ministry issue is solved, it won't be
possible to allow clergy exchanges among the churches.

While the Episcopal Church has voted to continue its
participation, Presiding Bishop Frank T. Griswold said that the
church's representatives "will not be able to commend it to our
General Convention for consideration until agreement has been
reached with regard to the reconciliation of ministries that is
called for" in the covenanting document for CUIC. Wright will
represent the Episcopal Church on a committee charged with
drafting a possible plan for reconciling ministries in CUIC.
"I'm struck by the number of Protestant churches that look upon
us as hold-outs," he said. "We are not ready to embrace papal
authority but neither are we prepared to give up on a visibly
structured church with episcopal authority at its core."

Commitment on fighting racism

The coordinating council of CUIC released a short statement
after its March meeting. "To assist grassroots implementation of
this renewed plan for unity, representatives introduced new
communication resources including a video, a study pamphlet, and
an informative brochure," the council noted. "Though complex
issues will need to be resolved, members of the Ministry Task
Force are hopeful that by 2007 their labors will provide
foundational agreements that will eventually lead to full
communion among these member churches."

The council also reported that it "heard a heartening report
from its Racial Justice Task Force" regarding plans for a
one-day event next September 15 in Chicago on "Eradicating
Racism: Liberating Tomorrow's Children." Both COCU and CUIC have
made a commitment to fight racism a major cornerstone of the
unity efforts, stimulated by the participation of three historic
black churches in the conversations.

At the September event "each member church will be asked to
elucidate the meaning of its commitment and how those
commitments can be implemented," said the Rev. Dan Krutz, an
Episcopal Church representative on the coordinating council. The
Rev. Jayne Oasin, the Episcopal Church's staff officer for
social justice, chairs the task force planning the Chicago
event.

Krutz said that the local/regional task force "is working on a
model for local implementation of CUIC's goals for moving the
churches to a deeper level of commitment to one another in
mission, worship and other areas of church life," highlighting
the work in 10 local areas to serve as models.	He added that
the liturgy used for the inauguration of CUIC in Memphis is
being adapted for use in local settings.

"I was very encouraged by this meeting," said Bishop Christopher
Epting, the Episcopal Church's deputy for ecumenical and
interfaith relations. "We have lost some momentum since the CUIC
inauguration in Memphis just over a year ago because this is a
new organization and new leadership. But the three task forces
are functioning well now and important work is being done. We
have to remember the exciting prospect of some 22 million
Christians working together through this association," he said.

------

Other links:

ENS story on CUIC launch:
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ens/2002-017.html

History of COCU and CUIC: http://www.eden.edu/cuic/news/html

Ecumenical resources: http://episcopalchurch.org/ecumenism.html

"CUIC and Ministry: The Real Beginning or the Final Ending?", by
J. Robert Wright:
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/ecumenism/eir/resources_detail.cfm?ArticleID=1
20

--James Solheim is director of Episcopal News Service.