From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Church's black caucus opposes war, calls for speedy end

From "NewsDesk" <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Fri, 4 Apr 2003 15:29:17 -0600

April 4, 2003 News media contact: Linda Green7(615)742-54707Nashville, Tenn.
10-21-31-71BI{203}

LOS ANGELES (UMNS) - The United Methodist Church's African-American caucus is
urging President Bush and the U.S. Congress to bring the war in Iraq to a
speedy end and to pursue peace at all costs.

The Black Methodists for Church Renewal passed a resolution April 4 opposing
war and calling for peace. The group, describing itself as "a conscience for
social justice," also expressed support for the deployed troops. The
statement came during the caucus' April 2-5 annual meeting.

Representing more than 380,000 African Americans, the group believes in the
church's Social Principles and is opposed to war, said Anne Williams,
chairperson. "BMCR took its stance in this resolution because it is difficult
to reconcile our interpretations of the Holy Scriptures with the aggressive
actions of our government in Iraq."

The more than 530 people attending the gathering expressed dismay at the
government's pre-emptive strike and invasion of Iraq, launched March 19 with
the goal of ousting dictator Saddam Hussein. The caucus rejected the U.S.
policy of using "brute force," and it called upon the United States to end
the war speedily; bring the troops home; restore Iraq and its culture under a
government that supports self-determination; and avoid initiating war with
other nations.

Citing Psalm 34, the Black Methodists for Church Renewal urged Bush,
government leaders and other decision makers to "turn from evil and do good;
seek peace and pursue it."

Almost every person who addressed the annual meeting spoke against the war
and called for peace. The Rev. R. Randy Day, top staff executive of the
United Methodist Board of Global Ministries, urged the caucus to "speak a
prophetic word" as it has always done.

Commenting that the United States could take over Baghdad before the
conclusion of the caucus meeting, Day asked: "Are we taking Baghdad, or are
we as nation in danger of losing our souls?"

When the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. opposed the Vietnam conflict in the
1960s, he also upheld his commitment to be in ministry with Jesus Christ, Day
said. "King did not simply oppose the war because of the aggression of his
country, but he opposed the aggression of any country."

Noting the denomination's official statements in the Book of Resolutions and
Book of Discipline, Day said United Methodists oppose war because it "is
against our biblical teachings (and) it is against our foundations. We uphold
that (stance) because our ministry to Jesus Christ is important to keep
before us today."

The war in Iraq will result in a "great humanitarian effort" to help the
Iraqi people, and the Board of Global Ministries and United Methodist
Committee on Relief will have a role to play, Day said.

He criticized the media for failing to report on how the U.S.-led bombing
campaign has severely affected citizens in some parts of Iraq. He cited
information that he has received from nongovernmental organizations and
United Methodists in Iraq.

"Our media is so sanitized and controlled about what they are giving to us,"
Day said. "They show you what they want to show you. The church has more
responsibility now than ever before in terms of communicating - in telling a
word of truth to the people."

He implored the Black Methodists for Church Renewal to "join together in
speaking and living those prophetic words of justice and also words of
peace."

Said Williams: "How is war justified when one is haunted by the images of
orphaned children looking for their parents, or of a mother crying over her
dead children?" She said lives on both sides of the conflict would forever be
changed.
# # #
The full text of the statement follows:

Opposing War and Calling for Peace

A Statement to President George W. Bush, the Administrative Cabinet,
 and the U.S. Congress

from Black Methodists for Church Renewal, Inc.

We, the officers and members of National Black Methodists for Church Renewal,
Inc. gathered for our 36th annual meeting in Los Angeles, Calif., April 2-5,
2003, affirming our identity as Christians who operate under the Lordship of
Jesus Christ, recognize our call as advocates and as a conscience for social
justice.  To that end, we are moved

	   to express our dismay that our United States government made a
preemptive strike and invaded the nation of Iraq, putting at risk the lives
of innocent men, women and children.

We are also dismayed that such action was taken without exploring all
alternatives to war, especially the instrument of the United Nations.

We also deplore the sanitization of the news reported by the media that keeps
from the U.S. public the explicit horror of the war. Our church sources
reveal that numerous atrocities inflicted upon civilians by our bombing are
not being presented in totality to the people of the United States.

The foundation we are taking regarding this war is included in the Social
Principles in The Book of Discipline of The United Methodist Church, that
states, "We believe war is incompatible with the teachings and example of
Christ."

Therefore, we reject our nation's policy of brute force against the Iraqis
and any people.

We also reject the policy of our nation to take unilateral preemptive action
without exploring all alternatives to war through the United Nations.

However, since such action has already been taken, we call for specific and
immediate counter-action to:

1.	Bring the war to a speedy end and return all of the troops that have
been deployed to fight in the war in Iraq.
2.	Initiate the action necessary to restore Iraq and its culture under a
government that supports the people's right to self-determination.
3.	Enact and follow a national policy that requires the United States of
America to pursue peace at all costs and avoid initiating war with other
nations.

While our statement is in opposition to war, we must nevertheless clearly
express our prayerful support of the troops, who must follow the orders of
our President, the Commander-In-Chief.

The psalmist calls us to peace. Black Methodists for Church Renewal, Inc.
strongly urge you, President George W. Bush, our government and our
decision-makers to do as the psalmist directs: "Turn from evil and do good;
seek peace and pursue it."-Psalm 34:14

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org