From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Going cyber

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 4 Apr 2003 15:48:00 -0500

Note #7658 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

Going cyber
03173
April 3, 2003

Going cyber

PC(USA) Web site offers bulletin-board materials on Iraq

by Evan Silverstein

LOUISVILLE - As U.S.-led coalition forces close in on Baghdad, officials of
the Presbyterian Church (USA) are trying to make it easier for congregations
to discuss the war in Iraq.

Photographs, thought pieces and questions and answers about Iraq have been
posted to a special section of the denomination's Web site, www.pcusa.org.
The materials, for use on church bulletin boards, are intended to prompt
discussions about Iraq and its people and churches.

The resources are available under the heading Display and Discussion at
http://www.pcusa.org/iraq/display/display.htm. An email link for ordering a
4MB downloadable slide show is available at the bottom of the page.

The resources are grouped in three categories: children, women and churches
in Iraq.

Each subject category includes six pictures. Congregations are encouraged to
download the images, which can be used by category or mixed and matched with
text from the Web site.

A link to additional Iraq photo galleries is on the right side of each page.

Making the materials available was a brainchild of the PC(USA)'s Iraq work
team, which includes representatives of WMD's Middle East Office, the
Presbyterian Peacemaking Program, Presbyterian Disaster Assistance (PDA) and
others from the national staff of the PC(USA).

"In my own congregation, we put the photos from the Presbyterian churches of
Iraq in the hallway with some general information," said Susan Ryan, the PDA
coordinator, a work team member. "We found that it became an instant
gathering place for conversation."

Ryan, who worships at Mt. Tabor Presbyterian Church in New Albany, IN, said
PDA often gets phone calls from churches asking for materials that can be
used on bulletin boards.

She said she hopes the materials on Iraq will serve as a model for the
denomination in providing materials on other major issues.

"We are always looking for ways to provide more interpretative materials to
congregations," she said.

*** For instructions on using this system (including how to UNJOIN this
meeting), send e-mail to mailrequests@ecunet.org