From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3388 Archbishop's Christian-Muslim initiative continues in

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Sat, 5 Apr 2003 13:28:20 +0100

ACNS 3388     |     LAMBETH PALACE     |     4 APRIL 2003

Archbishop's Christian-Muslim initiative continues in Qatar

The Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams, is to convene the second
'Building Bridges' seminar from April 7-9 in Doha, Qatar. The conference is
being hosted by the Amir of Qatar, His Highness Shaikh Hamad bin Khalifa
Al-Thani, and follows on from a similar gathering last year at Lambeth
Palace.

Around thirty Christian and Muslim scholars from across the world will hold
detailed discussions over three days. This year the gathering will focus on
the place of scripture in the two faith communities; speakers will address
issues such as the contemporary interpretation of scripture and scriptural
perspectives on those from other faith traditions. The format of this year's
conference includes both open lectures and private sessions. As with the
first conference last year, it is hoped that an account of the deliberations
will be published in book form.

The conference was planned well in advance of the military conflict in Iraq
and is part of a continuing process of engagement between Christian and
Muslim scholars. Dr Williams underlined the importance of dialogue:

"Christians and Muslims have much to learn from each other, and much to
share, despite all the differences we acknowledge. A meeting such as this is
a clear demonstration that we do not have to be imprisoned in mutual
hostility and misunderstanding when our encounters are shaped by the
scholarship and experience of people such as those who will be contributing
to this meeting."

For details about the Enthronement of the 104th Archbishop of Canterbury,
the Most Revd Rowan D Williams, visit http://www.anglicancommunion.org/

ACNSlist, the email edition of Anglican Communion News Service, is
published by the Anglican Communion Office, London. QUESTIONS or COMMENTS
may be sent to: acnslist@anglicancommunion.org

You may subscribe to acnslist or unsubscribe at: