From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3386 Mothers' Union & Jubilee Debt Campaign call for a

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Sat, 5 Apr 2003 13:26:39 +0100

ACNS 3386     |     ENGLAND	|     4 APRIL 2003

Mothers' Union & Jubilee Debt Campaign call for a ongoing commitment to the
cancellation of Third World debt

Members of the Mothers' Union (MU) and the Jubilee Debt Campaign (JDC) called
for greater ongoing commitment to the issue of debt relief today, stating
that the time has come to lift stricken countries 'out of poverty and restore
a sense of justice between the world's poorest and richest countries.'

The call was announced prior to the handing over of a Jubilee Debt Petition
of over 129,000 signatures to Her Majesty the Queen at Buckingham Palace.
Stephen Rand, Chairman of JDC, said, "Tragically, we find ourselves involved
in a war today. But there has been a battle happening for the past five
years, with casualties occurring every minute and this cannot be ignored. The
JDC petition is proof that there is a desire and public commitment to make
sure we keep going in fighting this battle but we need the continued support
of the Government in particular if we are to achieve this."

The Jubilee Debt Petition calls for deeper and wider debt relief for the
millions of poor people in the Commonwealth and beyond, making this a Jubilee
Year for All.

It is hoped that on receiving the petition, Her Majesty's Government will
recognise that 100% debt cancellation is fundamental to reaching its debt
cancellation goals.

"This petition celebrates the truly historical achievement of our Government
in starting the process of debt relief. However, what has been promised so
far in terms of debt relief is grotesque in its inadequacy. Over one billion
of our fellow human beings are still enslaved by debt, many of them living on
less than a dollar a day and this is not acceptable," said David Golding,
member of JDC Board.

In the UK, members and supporters of JDC have been responsible for collecting
over 62,000 petition signatures. The remainder has been collected by members
of the MU from over 70 countries around the globe. Where people were not able
to write their names, fingerprints were used instead.

Trish Heywood, Worldwide President of the Mothers' Union, presented the
petition to Her Majesty with Stephen Rand, Chairman of JDC. They were joined
outside the palace by campaigners from Chester, Newcastle and representatives
of the Commonwealth countries including Nigeria and Ghana impacted by debt.

Speaking at the event, Martha Bodu Boateng, MU worker from Kumasi Diocese,
Ghana, said, "I signed the petition because I wanted the poorer countries of
the world to be relieved of debt and poverty. If debt was relieved, I know my
local community would be able to evolve. At the moment there are no jobs for
our youth, and the government does not have the money to help them. We need
more money for education, which the government also cannot provide for our
youth, both primary and secondary education."

JDC is a UK coalition of over 50 faith-based and secular agencies and more
than 70 local/regional groups. Of its faith-based agencies, the MU is one of
the largest with over one million members in over 70 countries worldwide.

"Global debt relief is very important to the MU, because one of its key
objectives is to promote conditions in society that are favourable to family
life. Stable families make for strong communities, which makes for a better
world," said Reg Bailey, CEO of the MU.

To find out more about the MU visit: www.themothersunion.org
To find out more about JDC visit: www.jubileedebtcampaign.org.uk

For details about the Enthronement of the 104th Archbishop of Canterbury,
the Most Revd Rowan D Williams, visit http://www.anglicancommunion.org/

ACNSlist, the email edition of Anglican Communion News Service, is
published by the Anglican Communion Office, London. QUESTIONS or COMMENTS
may be sent to: acnslist@anglicancommunion.org

You may subscribe to acnslist or unsubscribe at: