From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3389 Statement on Iraq crisis by House of Bishops: The

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Sat, 5 Apr 2003 13:30:10 +0100

ACNS 3389     |     WEST INDIES     |	  4 APRIL 2003

Statement on Iraq crisis by House of Bishops: The Church in the Province of
the West Indies

We the Bishops of the Church in the Province of the West Indies, meeting at
the Provincial Secretariat in Barbados, send greetings to the faithful
throughout the Province. We greet you in the name of Our Creator God and his
Son, Jesus Our Lord, the Prince of Peace.

We meet in the context of the Iraq crisis, as the world once more experiences
the pain of war and yearns for peace. This war, like all wars, has raised a
number of moral questions. They are questions that the Christian cannot
ignore. War is abhorrent to the Christian drive for peace, guided by the Holy
Spirit, and to the care of God for all his children and his entire creation.
It runs counter to the teachings of our Lord, especially his teachings in the
Sermon on the Mount about how we should treat those with whom we may find it
difficult to agree.

For some time, there has been present among some Christians, the theory of
the 'just war.' It is a theory that searches for a moral justification of
war. If the criteria of proportionality and immunity are important in a 'just
war' then it is difficult, if not impossible, to find any Christian or moral
justification for the destruction of non-combatants. We stand aghast at the
devastation wrought on the historic cities of Iraq by cruise missiles and
smart bombs.

We, as a Province, are also aware that there cannot be any simplistic or easy
solutions to the issues of international politics. However, we do believe
that the human mind, guided by God's Holy Spirit, is capable of working
through the complications and the contradictions that human behaviour often
creates. We continue to pray for the guidance of the Holy Spirit on all those
who are called to make critical decisions in the international arena.

We, at this time, given what we have said above, make the following points:

1 As Christians, we cannot condone the assumed right of any country to
develop weapons of mass destruction, or to engage in acts of oppression
against its citizens or those of other nations, or to support terrorism.

2 We strongly support the efforts of the nations of the world working through
the United Nations to make this world a safer place. We acknowledge the
United Nations as the proper forum for resolving international disputes. We
believe that with universal commitment and with a deep sense of human
solidarity and responsibility, people of all creeds and classes can live a
full life in peace and harmony with all races.

3 We strongly urge the governments of this region to support the collective
decision-making process at work in the United Nations.

4 We believe that there was a viable alternative to war, the way of peaceful
disarmament through the inspection process. We regret that the process of
weapons inspection was frustrated due to the commencement of war on Iraq.

5 We hold the view that no small group of countries can assume for themselves
the right to change the government or regime in another country. The war in
Iraq demonstrates a frightening use of power that cannot be morally
justified. It can place the entire world in crisis. It leads to the haunting
question: "Who next?"

6 We urge the recognition of all the terms of the Geneva Conventions
applicable in times of war.

7 We stand firmly with other Christian communities throughout the world who
have expressed their opposition to the war in Iraq and have affirmed their
desire for justice and peace through love.

8 We support the efforts of the Secretary General of the United Nations and
urge the individual members of the United Nations, especially those who are
members of the Security Council, to persist in their work for the peace of
the World.

9 We urge the immediate cessation of hostilities and a swift response to
relieve the pain and suffering that have been inflicted upon the people of
Iraq.

10 We remember before God all those who have lost their loved ones in the
present crisis. We call on all persons to re-examine their attitudes to war
and violence and to re-commit themselves to the pursuit of justice and peace.

11 We pray that the Prince of Peace will guide all those who confess Him as
Lord to be instruments of His peace in His world.

WE PRAY FOR THE PEACE OF THE WORLD.

For details about the Enthronement of the 104th Archbishop of Canterbury,
the Most Revd Rowan D Williams, visit http://www.anglicancommunion.org/

ACNSlist, the email edition of Anglican Communion News Service, is
published by the Anglican Communion Office, London. QUESTIONS or COMMENTS
may be sent to: acnslist@anglicancommunion.org

You may subscribe to acnslist or unsubscribe at: