From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Archbishop of Canterbury hosts dialogue of Christian and Muslim scholars in Qatar

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Wed, 9 Apr 2003 16:03:16 -0400

April 9, 2003

2003-077

Episcopalians: Archbishop of Canterbury hosts dialogue of
Christian and Muslim scholars in Qatar

by James Solheim

(ENS) While the war continued to rage in Iraq, Archbishop of
Canterbury Rowan Williams brought together 15 Christian
theologians and 15 Muslim scholars to explore the use of
Scripture in the two faiths in a "Building Bridges" seminar in
Qatar.

In his opening remarks April 7, Williams thanked the Amir of
Qatar for his "exemplary commitment to this dialogue," adding
that "he has shown precisely the kind of enthusiasm for honest
exchange and deepened understanding which meetings such as this
are designed to assist."

Noting that the foundation for the dialogue had been laid by his
predecessor, George Carey, in a similar meeting last year at
Lambeth Palace in London, Williams said, "Christians are
Christians and Muslims are Muslims because they care about the
truth, and because they believe that truth alone gives life.
About the nature of that absolute and life-giving truth,
Christians and Muslims are not fully in agreement. Yet they are
able to find words in which to explain and explore that
disagreement because they also share histories and practices
that make parts of their systems of belief mutually
recognisable--a story reaching back to God's creation of the
world and God's call to Abraham."

The purpose of the dialogue, according to Williams, was "to
discover more about how each community believes it must listen
to God, conscious of how very differently we identify and speak
of God's revelation." That listening becomes all the more urgent
in times of conflict and anxiety, he said. "Listening to God and
to one another as nations, cultures and faiths have not always
had the priority they so desperately need," he said.

"In this dialogue, we are not seeking an empty formula of
convergence or trying to deny our otherness; indeed, as we
reflect on the holy texts we read, we shall be seeking to make
better sense of how we relate to the other, the stranger with
whom we can still speak in trust and love," Williams said. In
doing that, "we learn more of the depths of what nourishes us in
our own faith and we hope to go from this dialogue better
equipped to witness in a deeply troubled world, to witness what
faith and humble obedience to God and patient attention to each
other might have to offer to struggling and suffering nations
throughout the globe."

The conference was planned well in advance of the military
conflict in neighboring Iraq and is part of a continuing process
of engagement between scholars of the two religions. "Christians
and Muslims have much to learn from each other," Williams said
before the meeting. He argued that the meeting is "a clear
demonstration that we do not have to be imprisoned in mutual
hostility and misunderstanding when our encounters are shaped by
the scholarship and experience" of participants.

According to Bishop Clive Handford, president-bishop of the
Province of Jerusalem and the Middle East, a confirmation
service attended by almost 600 people was held during the
seminar at the English-speaking school in Doha. The archbishop
preached, confirmed 16 young people of seven nationalities, and
Handford celebrated the Eucharist.

The archbishop also blessed the first stone of what will be the
Church of the Epiphany. Christians are free to worship openly in
Qatar, thanks to the tolerant policies of the Amir.

------

--James Solheim is director of Episcopal News Service.