From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Taiwan Youth Pray for Peace

From Taiwan Church News <pctpress@ms1.hinet.net>
Date Fri, 11 Apr 2003 11:17:41 +0800

Taiwan Church News 2667, April 13, 2003
Reported by Li Hsin-ren. Translated and rewritten by David
Alexander

   "Make me a channel of your peace, Where there is hate, let me
sow love..." The words of the Prayer of St. Francis of Assisi
were heard when youth from several churches from the Longevity
Mountain Presbytery of the Presbyterian Church in Taiwan gathered
at Ren-mei Church last week.  They prayed for the end of the war
between America and Iraq and for world peace.  Holding hands in a
circle, they called for peace to descend upon the world, and
promised to be seeds of peace, love and hope.
   And prayers were not only for the situation between the USA
and Iraq.  The state of affairs between Taiwan and China also
came up.  They prayed for peace in and across the Straits of
Taiwan.  The Rev. Ong Bun-seng, pastor of Ren-mei church, led
them to as they prayed, "We lift our hands in peace calling for
the end of war!"
   Rev. Ong spoke from the ten commandments, focusing on the one
that reads, "You shall not murder." He emphasized that war
displeases God.  He told the assembled youth to love people
genuinely, and to add prayer to their love.  He urged them to be
concerned for the many innocent people who are harmed by warfare.

   This group of "e-generation" youth also gave of themselves in
concrete action to care for those who have been victims of war.
An offering was sent to World Vision/Taiwan for relief of war
victims in the Middle East.

For more information: Ong Bun-seng  jm731@ksmail.seed.net.tw
		      World Vision/Taiwan
www.worldX-Mozilla-Status: 0009an Church News is published weekly