From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Commission will promote diversity in legislative sessions

From "NewsDesk" <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2003 15:15:23 -0500

April 14, 2003	News media contact: Joretta Purdue7(202) 546-87227Washington
   10-31-71B{222}

WASHINGTON (UMNS) - The United Methodist Commission on Religion and Race
plans to promote diversity at the denomination's business sessions and
legislative gatherings beginning this spring and continuing through July
2004.

The commission has created an initiative called "Inclusiveness Counts!" to
address issues related to racism. Annual (regional) conferences this year
will be electing delegates to the General Conference to be held in Pittsburgh
April 27-May 7, 2004. The commission's campaign will focus on monitoring and
encouraging diversity in the election of these delegates.

When the jurisdictional conferences meet in July 2004 to elect and assign
bishops, the commission will focus on diversity in those elections also. At
General Conference, the denomination's top lawmaking assembly, the commission
will monitor legislative proposals for impact on the church, particularly in
terms of inclusiveness.

"The church is facing very challenging times," said the Rev. Chester R.
Jones, who heads the commission staff. The U.S. economy, war with Iraq and
expansion of global interests are some of the circumstances requiring the
church to evaluate its ministry, he said. "Despite these challenges, we must
remember our commitment to be a church where all are welcomed and embraced,
particularly racial ethnic persons who have been historically excluded."

Materials are being sent to each annual conference to invite participation in
the campaign. The items are addressed to the chairperson of the conference
commission on religion and race and the conference director of connectional
ministries. For more information, contact the commission at gcorr@erols.com
or (202) 547-2271.

"We will be using various methods to reach people on all levels of the church
not, just delegates," Jones explained. The campaign is for everyone, he
added.

# # #

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at: