From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Episcopalians advocate for better health-care system

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2003 13:51:56 -0400

April 16, 2003

2003-081

Episcopalians: Episcopalians advocate for better health-care
system

by Jerry Hames

(Episcopal Life) The inadequacy of the nation's health-care
system will be the domestic issue upon which the next federal
election will hinge, Henry E. Simmons, president of the National
Coalition on Health Care, predicted to about 80 Episcopal
health-care professionals at a conference in Washington, D.C.,
April 8-9.

Simmons, head of a broadly representative alliance of 93
organizations working to improve health care, likened the
current situation to the "Perfect Storm" that occurred in the
North Atlantic in 1991 that caused millions in damage and the
loss of many lives. "Such a storm has now formed in our health
care system; but unlike nature's storm, this one will not abate
in short order," the physician warned. "In fact, there is no end
in sight, and there is reason to expect ever-increasing
intensity and damage.'

Simmons, the keynote speaker for the national gathering "Waging
Reconciliation: An Episcopal Response to Health Care Barriers,"
described three factors that have formed the equivalent of
nature's perfect storm.

The first is cost, he said. "Health-care spending is already
highest in the world on a per capita basis, despite the fact
that we fall far short of insuring all our citizens." The second
is decreasing insurance coverage. "The employment-based health
care system is eroding. Over time, an average of almost 1
million more Americans are added to the ranks of the uninsured
each year, most of them from working, middle-class families," he
said.

The third is poor quality. "Much of the health care we do either
is unnecessary, inefficiently or ineffectively delivered, or
outright dangerous," he said. "Lack of attention to quality
results in waste of more than $500 billion each year."

Response to directive

The two-day conference was a response to the resolution of the
last General Convention (A079) that called for Episcopalians to
advocate for a system that will provide "decent and appropriate
primary health care for all citizens."

The first day was devoted to series of speakers. Participants
heard from policy makers and experts about legislative proposals
and the challenges in reforming the health-care system.

"We've been at this for a long time," said Bishop Suffragan
George Packard, director of Episcopal chaplaincies, as he opened
the conference. He urged participants "to stand in the shoes of
the poor those who don't have the dignity of health care." He
said 41 million people now lack health-care insurance.

The Rev. Michael Stewart, interim director for health-care
ministries, said the church has been insufficiently organized to
have an impact. "We need to have information for the
constituency," he urged.

Democratic Senator Ron Wyden of Oregon described his proposed
bill to establish a citizens' health-care working group to
encourage debate about how to improve the system and provide a
vote by Congress on the recommendations from the debate. "One of
the biggest barriers to health care is the U.S. Congress," Wyden
said. "All the problems we are seeing today will be small
potatoes by the year 2010. All of the problems will be
multiplied many times over." He said the gridlocked Congress had
done nothing on health care since the issue was shelved during
the Clinton administration in 1993-94.

The Rev. Linda Walling, director of Faith Project, a universal
health-care action network in Cleveland, said new voices must
take the lead if universal health care is to become reality.
"There is a particular role here for the faith community," she
said. Participants spent the final day of the conference
lobbying their members of the House of Representatives and
senators and their legislative aides on Capitol Hill to work for
health-care reform. Legislators accepted 95 of 103 requests for
appointments on Capitol Hill, said John Johnson, staff member in
the church's Government Relations Office in Washington, D.C.

For some people, lobbying was a difficult challenge that
required encouragement. "We have to engage our government, our
policy makers," urged Marge Kikelly, an Episcopalian and retired
state senator from Maine. "We are called to do this. We have a
responsibility to strive for justice and peace."

When meeting with legislators from their constituency,
Episcopalians urged support for Wyden's bill and full funding
for the Children's Health Insurance and the Women's, Infants and
Children programs.

Strategies developed

In the days' final session, participants developed strategies to
engage others in the church. They urged re-establishing a
General Convention standing commission on health care and a
national staff advocate. They discussed ways to encourage
dioceses to engage society and the government in health-care
reform.

They discovered through group discussions, poster presentations
and exhibits a wealth of resources in parish health-care
programs across the country. "We must celebrate and share these
with others so they can be replicated in many ways across the
country," the report from one group said.

If we really wanted to make a difference, and every member
"adopted" one member of Congress, we could do something
profound," said another. Johnson said later that the fact that
Episcopalians came to Washington to meet legislators
face-to-face was vital. "New relationships were formed that will
have to be maintained. Not having a voice in Washington means
you are invisible. Then we're not fulfilling our mission and our
call."

------

For more information, visit:

www.episcopalchurch.org/episcopal-life/Healing.html

www.episcopalchurch.org/ashapm/health.html

www.nchc.org

http://wyden.senate.gov

--Jerry Hames is editor of Episcopal Life, the newspaper of the
Episcopal Church.