From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: News Briefs

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2003 14:15:15 -0400

April 16, 2003

2003-083

Episcopalians: News Briefs

Anglicans and Lutherans cite significant ecumenical progress

(ENS/ELCA) During a 17-day "ecumenical journey" to Europe, a
delegation from the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
(ELCA) met with Roman Catholic and Anglican leaders to assess
the progress of their ecumenical relationships.

Anglicans have made more ecumenical progress with Lutherans than
with any other Christian tradition, said Bishop John Baycroft,
director of ecumenical relations and studies for the Anglican
Communion, during the group's visit to England. Yet there is
some confusion over an array of regional and international
agreements, he added.

The Church of England, for example, has entered into ecumenical
agreements with the Lutherans in Germany (Meissen Declaration of
1991), the Lutheran churches of Scandinavia and the Baltic
region (Porvoo Declaration of 1992), and an agreement with the
Evangelical Lutheran Church of France (Reuilly Declaration of
1999).

In North America Anglicans and Lutherans in Canada established
full communion with the Waterloo Declaration of 2001 and the
Episcopal Church and the ELCA entered a similar relationship
with "Called to Common Mission," effective in 2001.

"No one wants to stop the progress," Baycroft said during a
discussion of the ELCA's adoption of a by-law that allows some
ordinations of clergy by a pastor other than a bishop, regarded
by many as a unilateral alteration of the CCM agreement. There
have been four "exceptions" so far under the bylaw provision but
more than 550 ordinations that comply with the terms of the
agreement that ordinations are done by bishops. The Rev. Lowell
Almen, secretary of the ELCA, said that such "anomalies" get a
lot of attention and make people believe they are more common
than they really are.

In a meeting with Pope John Paul II at the Vatican, the group
raised the issue of participation by Lutherans in the Eucharist
in Roman Catholic congregations, currently forbidden. Presiding
Bishop Mark Hanson of the ELCA suggested that Anglicans and
Lutherans join together to discuss Holy Communion and ministry
with the Roman Catholics in a "trilateral" discussion. He
pointed to the possibility of "limited Eucharistic sharing"
between the two churches.

"Event though there are still differences on the question of
ministry, a convergence has been reached on basic principles
which makes Eucharistic hospitality possible," said a recent
statement from three prestigious European ecumenical research
institutes--two Protestant and one Roman Catholic.

"We have come to appreciate more deeply the fellowship existing
between Lutherans and Catholics which led to the Joint
Declaration [on the Doctrine of Justification] in 1999," the
pope told the delegation. "In that document we are challenged to
build on what has already been achieved, fostering more
extensively at the local level a spirituality of communion
marked by prayer and shared witness to the gospel."

Anglican Indigenous Network calls for non-geographic
province

(ENS) Among the resolutions passed by the Anglican Indigenous
Network (AIN) at its meeting in Aotearoa (New Zealand) in early
April was once calling for "the creation of a non-geographic
province of the Anglican Communion for the Indigenous Peoples of
the Pacific Rim."

Participants in the meeting said that membership in the network
is based on a mission statement that underscores a commitment to
the Anglican tradition "while affirming our traditional
spirituality. We believe that God is leading the church to a
turning point in its history and that the full partnership of
indigenous peoples is essential," according to the statement.
"Therefore we pledge to work together to exercise our leadership
in contributing our vision and gifts to transform the life of
the Christian community."

Following a traditional Maori welcome on the shores of Lake
Rotorua, and a signal that the delegation was coming in peace,
Bishop Whakauihui Vercoe said in a sermon that the guests should
be "storytellers, value bearers, community builders and
spiritual journeyers" whose voices contribute to the Anglican
Communion. "This is our heritage and to act on this heritage is
our ministry. It is a ministry of listening, of healing, and of
caring."

Malcolm Naea Chun, secretary general of AIN, noted in his
opening remarks that the network had shifted its emphasis to
focus more directly on the issues and concerns of its
constituents--especially youth, women, elders, clergy and
theological education and training. Delegations from the Torres
Strait Islands of Australia, Indigenous Peoples of Canada,
Native Americans of the United States and Hawaii, and Maori
delegates brought their regional concerns to the meeting.

Episcopal Media Center promotes new partnership in
communications

(EMC)A new wave of partnerships to implement strategies in
church-wide communications and improved services to
congregations was announced at a recent benefit dinner for the
Atlanta-based Episcopal Media Center, an independent non-profit
organization that serves Episcopal clergy and parishes. The
event drew representatives from the Dioceses of New York and
Long Island, staff from the Episcopal Church Center, the General
Theological Seminary and Morehouse Publishing.

"Many of us who worked together recently to produce the
stewardship education resource, Living with Money, now realize
that any vision of the future in church communications must be
reflected in a new spirit of collaboration," said the Rev. Louis
Schueddig, executive director of the Media Center. "Too many of
us have worked alone, under-funded, often competing with our own
brothers and sisters in Christ, and simply not getting much
accomplished."

The first copy of the stewardship resource was presented to
Presiding Bishop Frank T. Griswold at the event. The video-based
curriculum is the result of substantial collaboration over the
last few years among various Episcopal agencies and ministries.
They worked together in a task force that included national
church offices of stewardship, media services and communication,
as well as several independent agencies such as Morehouse
Publishing, the Episcopal Network for Stewardship, the Episcopal
Church Foundation, the Seabury Institute, and Seabury-Western
Theological Seminary.

UN Human Rights Commission hears about persecution in
Pakistan

(ENI) The World Council of Churches, joined by major Roman
Catholic organizations and a peace and justice group, has told a
meeting of the United Nations Commission on Human Rights about
religious intolerance and discrimination in Pakistan. They
focused particularly on laws that can bring a death sentence for
those found guilty of blasphemy against the prophet Mohammed.

In an April 11 submission, the groups said that such laws
promote "a culture of intolerance, division and extremism" that
could result in "religious intolerance and violence against
Christians, Hindus, and members of the Ahmadiye community," an
Islamic movement rejected by orthodox Islam.

Even though the definition of blasphemy is vague, it carries a
mandatory death sentence and minorities are often falsely
accused, the group said, and used by "extremist elements to
settle personal scores against religious minorities." As a
result, "many of the accused are killed, in some cases even
before they are brought to trial."  The group also said that "it
has become virtually impossible to get a fair hearing" for those
charged under the laws.

In their submission to the commission, the groups said that
sectarian violence in Pakistan has increased in recent years.
"Since September 11, 2001, there have been eight serious
incidents targeting Christian institutions and their members,
killing 43 Christians and injuring many."

They called on the government of Pakistan to repeal "all
discriminatory laws," including the blasphemy laws; ratify the
human rights treaties not yet ratified; invite the UN Special
Rapporteur on freedom of religion or belief to visit Pakistan;
and "take even stronger measures to protect the lives, property,
respect and honour of minorities."

In addition to the WCC, the groups included Dominicans for
Justice and Peace,and Franciscans International, as well as the
Pakistan Justice and Peace Commission of Religious Men and
Women, and the Pakistan Commission of Catholic Bishops.

Easter messages from Jerusalem--end Palestinian suffering

(ENI) In their Easter messages, the Christian leaders of
churches in Jerusalem reflect on the war in Iraq and repeat
their pleas for an end to Palestinian suffering.

The Latin (Roman Catholic) Patriarch of the Holy Land, Michel
Sabbah, issued a warning about the consequences of the war in
Iraq, urging the international community to find ways to "limit"
the use of power and act "to save humanity from the threat of
new world wars." He said that "the positive which will come from
this  war, we are waiting to see. What we have seen so far is
war and more evil to the people of Iraq after this war. Instead
of having freedom, they have anarchy and confusion." Sabbah
pointed to the suffering of the people under 12 years of
international sanctions.

Christians take heart from the Easter story and their belief in
the Resurrection, said the patriarch, a Palestinian and the
highest ranking Catholic in the Holy Land. "Therefore we keep
hoping that one day the Holy Land will be for all its
inhabitants, a land of Resurrection and no more a land of death
and hatred." He expressed hopes that the so-called "road map"
for peace created by the United States, the European Union,
Russia and the United Nations may yet provide a solution because
it calls for a Palestinian state by 2005.

"If the road map gives back to the Palestinians their rights,
their freedom, their dignity, it can work," he said. "The
question is whether the Israelis will accept the road map. This
is a positive proposition to bring and end to the conflict."

The Lutheran bishop in Jerusalem, Munib Younan, also focused on
the war and the plight of Palestinians, describing the war as
one of the "huge and heavy stones" that had been placed in the
way of peace. He said that the war "is creating a big divide
between cultures. What will happen with Christian-Muslim
relations that we have built for a long time? No wonder we are
filled with hopelessness. Just when we thought we had succeeded
in bringing mutual understanding among cultures and
civilizations, we see this huge stone in front of us," he said.

During his Palm Sunday trip to Jerusalem, Archbishop of
Canterbury Rowan Williams said that, as a result of the
suffering and fear among Palestinians in recent months, "there
is small hope of lasting reconciliation in the wider world. And
now, with the repercussions of military action in Iraq still
echoing around the region, new fears have been aroused in the
hearts of many."

Williams said that at Easter Christians should pray "that those
who hold power may know how to take the risk of giving it away
for the sake of greater peace and those who have no power may
take the risk of stepping out of helpless resentment into
something new."

Liberian church leaders warn of military and humanitarian
crisis

(CWS) Liberian church leaders are pleading for help from the
international community as the nation faces a worsening military
and humanitarian crisis provoked by renewed intensive fighting
in its 13-year-old civil war that is displacing thousands of
people every week.

"The world must not watch the death of the rest of us," said the
Rev. Kortu Brown, director of Concerned Christian Community, a
faith-based humanitarian service organization. "We need
immediate food aid to avert any starvation that may result from
thousands of people running from fighting."

"The situation is deplorable and pathetic," added Benjamin Dorme
Lartey, general secretary of the Liberian Council of Churches,
"and there is urgent need to respond to the people, particularly
the women and children and the elderly."

Church World Service (CWS), the relief and development agency of
the National Council of Churches, has called for a firm date for
peace talks, scheduled for Mali in mid-April but postponed, and
greater engagement of the U.S. government--especially a role of
intervention and support for international participation in
elections. CWS is airlifting blankets, health kits and food to
help the Liberians meet some of the immediate needs in camps
that provide temporary shelter.

CWS is raising funds to support two special outreach programs
for women refugees and returnees who have been victims of rape
and other abuse, as well as a YMCA leadership training program
for 1,600 displaced children and youth.

The Liberian Council of Churches "is gravely concerned at the
escalation of the fighting and the formation of new fighting
groups which will only bring more hardship to the already
suffering people of Liberia," the council said in an April 9
statement. The council is also worried about the delays in the
peace talks.

------