From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutherans Participate in Ecumenical Effort Regarding Korea

From News News <NEWS@elca.org>
Date Thu, 17 Apr 2003 15:02:29 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

April 16, 2003

LUTHERANS PARTICIPATE IN ECUMENICAL EFFORT REGARDING KOREA
03-083-MR

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
(ELCA) is participating in an effort to address humanitarian need on the
Korean peninsula and the current political impasse between the United
States and North Korea.  The ELCA and 16 other members of the National
Council of Churches of Christ in the U.S.A. (NCC) and Church World
Service (CWS) met April 11 here at the ELCA churchwide office to plan
the effort.
     The ELCA is a member of the NCC and participates in the work of
CWS -- the global humanitarian aid agency of the NCC.  CWS has provided
$4.25 million in food to North Korea since the onset of the food crisis
there in 1996.	The ELCA has responded to CWS' appeal for funds with
more than $61,000.  CWS issued its latest appeal for funds March 31.
     Participants at the meeting set out to develop a common advocacy
strategy on U.S. policy toward the Korean peninsula, plan a consultation
between United States and Korean church leaders this summer in
Washington, D.C.,; and organize an ecumenical delegation from the United
States to visit the Korean peninsula later this year to foster "mutual
partnership" and engage in advocacy with the people of North Korea and
South Korea.
     "It's important that we're involved ecumenically through Church
World Service and Action by Churches Together.	Our relationships with
them are supported through the Lutheran World Federation and the ELCA
World Hunger Grants Program," said the Rev. Barbara Lund, program
director for East Asia, ELCA Division for Global Mission.
     Action by Churches Together is a worldwide network of churches and
related agencies that meets human need through organized emergency
response.  It is housed with the World Council of Churches and the
Lutheran World Federation (LWF), both in Geneva, Switzerland.  The LWF
is a global communion of 136 Christian churches in the Lutheran
tradition in 76 countries representing more than 61.7 million of the
65.4 million Lutherans worldwide.
     "The ELCA response, through its Division for Global Mission, is
ecumenical because of the political and humanitarian crisis on the
peninsula.  More can be done ecumenically through Church World Service
and Action by Churches Together, which are supported by ELCA World
Hunger grants," said Lund.
     "Members of the ELCA can respond through its World Hunger Appeal,
which builds our relationships with people and churches.  There are two
Protestant churches and one Roman Catholic church in North Korea, and
there is an ELCA pastor currently serving at the International Lutheran
Congregation in Seoul.	Lutherans also respond by lifting up the people
of North and South Korea during prayers," she said.
     "As people of faith it's important for us to remember that
political references such as 'Axis of Evil' about a country are
incongruent with mission among God's people," Lund said.
     A critical component of the meeting was "that member communions of
the National Council of Churches understand this to be an urgent moment
for churches to respond not just with their charity and humanitarian aid
but with a commitment to confronting" governments of North Korea, South
Korea and the United States, "recognizing that we have a role to play in
seeking reconciliation and reunification of North and South Korea, and
in moving away from the brink of war," said the Rev. Robert Edgar, NCC
general secretary, in an interview with the ELCA News Service.
     Edgar said that churches should "understand what their roles are
in the dynamics of the world" and they ought to consider their "broader
foreign policies.  We think nothing of governments and nations having
foreign policies," he said. "God is a God of creation, so part of our
foreign policy is to care about the earth and stewardship of the
planet."
     "Every January we listen to the president give his State of the
Union address, and we remember [President Bush's] 'Axis of Evil.'  We
think that the Axis of Evil is the pandemic of poverty, the destruction
of earth and the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction.	If
church people think that, then theologically we ought to have a foreign
policy that reflects it," said Edgar.
     The Rev. John L. McCullough, CWS executive director, said the
meeting served as an "opportunity for communions to come together around
an issue that is of critical and mutual importance."  He said, "Churches
need to be concerned about what is happening in North Korea in terms of
the political situation between the United States and the Korean
peninsula, and the humanitarian situation there which continues to be a
crisis."
     A highlight of the meeting was a report delivered by Victor W.C.
Hsu, senior advisor to the executive secretary, CWS.  Hsu visited the
Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) -- North Korea -- April 1-
5.
     "The primary purpose for the trip to the Democratic People's
Republic of Korea was to monitor the distribution of 660 metric tons of
fortified wheat flour intended for young children and pregnant and
nursing women," Hsu said.  The CWS shipment was in response to an urgent
appeal for food assistance to avoid the worsening of widespread hunger
and malnutrition, he said.
     Hsu visited several hospitals, children's centers and homes in
Pyongyang, North Korea's capital.  "In each place, I was able to
determine that the fortified flour was used in a variety of ways.  Some
use it to make plain buns as snacks.  Several mix the flour to make
fried dough, apparently most popular with the children.  Others make a
Japanese-style tempura.  As for babies, the flour is mixed with other
ingredients to make a nutritious gruel," he wrote in his report.
     "The Koreans kept asking me, 'When is the next shipment?'	I did
not feel free to speak on anyone's behalf, but, knowing the history of
the generosity of the church in this country, I was able to say with
some degree of confidence that I'm sure that within the next 12 months
we would be able to do another shipment.  They are in need of all sorts
of aid, whether it's medicine or food.	The need is massive," Hsu told
participants.
     "Government officials made it clear to me that the DPRK continues
to be eager for direct talks with the Unites States," Hsu said.  "They
hoped that I would help to take this message to the church in the United
States.  It is their conviction that the only route to peace is through
Washington.  At the same time, they questioned whether the United States
would be interested in peace," he said.
     In an interview, Hsu said some important elements of the April 11
meeting here are "the fact that it happened and the fact that several
denominations have affirmed its importance by sending representatives to
be here.  There has been a very rich history of involvement among the
communions of Church World Service and National Council of Churches.
The contribution is pioneering, because we were the first organization
in the United States to talk about Korea's reunification.  We were among
the first people to enter North Korea and to have substantive
conversations with key government officials, so that we have a better
understanding of where they stand with regards to their relationship
with the United States government."
-- -- --
     The ELCA maintains information about North Korea at
http://www.elca.org/dgm/country_packet/korea-north/desc.html and South
Korea at http://www.elca.org/dgm/country_packet/korea-south/desc.html on
the Internet.

For information contact: