From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Presiding Bishop Gives Thanks for Apparent End to War

From News News <NEWS@elca.org>
Date Thu, 17 Apr 2003 15:44:27 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

April 17, 2003

ELCA PRESIDING BISHOP GIVES THANKS FOR APPARENT END TO WAR
03-85-JB

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Rev. Mark S. Hanson, presiding bishop of
the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), said in an April
16 statement that he is thankful the most intense phase of the
military conflict in Iraq has ceased.  Hanson said he is grateful for
sacrifices made in the war with Iraq, remains concerned about support
for all affected by the war and is committed to moral deliberation
"about pressing issues of our country."
      Hanson, who leads the 5.1 million member ELCA based here, has
been an outspoken opponent of the war since the possibility was first
mentioned by Bush Administration officials in the summer of 2002.
Many of his comments related to the war in Iraq have been affirmed by
the ELCA Church Council, ELCA Conference of Bishops and boards and
committees of several ELCA churchwide units.
     "During this most Holy Week of the year, I am encouraged by
reports that major aspects of the war in Iraq are coming to an end,"
Hanson said in his statement titled, "End of Overt Hostilities in
Iraq War."
      "We now have a renewed opportunity and responsibility to
consider the questions of war, peace and human community to which
this moment in history calls us," he said.
     Hanson called Saddam Hussein's  regime "brutal." He expressed
thanks that several "dangers" related to the war did not happen, such
as "massive refugee displacement, use of chemical, biological or
nuclear weapons or wide destabilization in the region."
     He noted the sacrifices of military personnel and civilians in
the conflict.  "With grateful hearts we honor the sacrifice made by
those service personnel who have been injured or died in this war,
and mourn the loss of all innocent persons," he said. "Our heartfelt
prayers go out for all soldiers and their families who, in service to
their country, have sacrificed so much in this military conflict."
     "Continuing care" should be offered to military personnel as
they return home, Hanson said, noting that they carry "in their
minds, hearts and bodies the effects of war and violence."
     Christians are compelled by their faith to search for "what
makes for a just peace and to seek ways for nations and peoples to
live together in a global community," Hanson said.
     He expressed concern that all people affected by the war
receive care and support.  He called for prayers for the people of
Iraq during the transition; protection for civilians; attention to
humanitarian needs and human rights; and "return as soon as possible"
the governance of Iraq to its people.
     Damaged relationships must also be healed, Hanson said. "I am
convinced that the post-conflict rebuilding of Iraq also must include
the rebuilding of relationships between nations and the United
Nations. I fervently hope that the end of this military conflict will
focus renewed political will and action on resolving the ongoing
conflict in the Middle East," he said.	Healing of relationships
across ethnic and political lines, and especially between faith
communities, must also occur, he said.
     As ELCA presiding bishop, Hanson emphasized that he will remain
committed to invite the church, as a community of faith, to engage in
moral deliberation about important global and national issues.
     "As members of the ELCA, we hold a wide range of opinions about
this war and the next steps to be taken," Hanson said.	"As people of
God we share a common baptismal hope, believing and trusting in God's
gracious intention for a world of peace and justice. I will continue
to invite this church into constant prayer for our president and all
elected officials, for all people affected by war and unjust
relationships, and for this fragile planet."
     Hanson said the ELCA's governing documents call on ELCA pastors
to "speak publicly to the world in solidarity with the poor and
oppressed, calling for justice and proclaiming God's love for the
world."
     "Together with them I am committed to living out this shared
calling and responsibility," he concluded.
---
     The full text of ELCA Presiding Bishop Mark S. Hanson's April
16 statement can be found at
http://www.elca.org/bishop/iraq_041603.html on the ELCA Web site.  A
complete listing of Hanson's public comments on global events related
to peace and war can be found at
http://www.elca.org/bishop/messages.html on the ELCA Web site.

For information contact: