From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3409 Archbishops call for urgent Humanitarian Aid

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Fri, 18 Apr 2003 01:07:21 +0100

ACNS 3409     |     IRELAND	|     14 APRIL 2003

Archbishops call for urgent Humanitarian Aid

[The Church of Ireland Press Office] The Archbishop of Armagh, the Most Revd
Dr Robin Eames, and the Archbishop of Dublin, the Most Revd John Neill, have
urged the international community to provide humanitarian aid to the people
of Iraq. In a joint statement the Archbishops said:
"The consequences of the war in Iraq have still to unfold, but already the
desperate humanitarian situation is apparent. Millions of people young and
old alike are facing loss of adequate housing, food, water and medical care,
to say nothing of the trauma caused through injury and the loss of loved
ones.

"A pressing responsibility rests on those who have waged war against Iraq,
involving huge financial resources, to provide comparable resources
immediately in humanitarian aid to the people of Iraq. Furthermore, ways
must be found to allow the wider international community to share in this
urgent task.

"As Christians we have a duty to share in this humanitarian undertaking and
to support work taken by non-governmental agencies such as the International
Red Cross and Red Crescent.

"As we rejoice in the hope through the Resurrection of Christ, we would call
upon members of the Church of Ireland, and on all our parishes, to consider
making a special collection on Easter day for the Bishops' Appeal for World
Development, and so enable aid to be sent to Iraq in the most appropriate
manner."