From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3405 An Easter reflection from the Presiding Bishop of

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Fri, 18 Apr 2003 01:02:19 +0100

ACNS 3405     |     USA     |	  11 APRIL 2003

An Easter reflection from the Presiding Bishop of ECUSA

Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and giving
life to those in the tomb.
This Easter anthem, drawn from the liturgy of the Eastern Church, appears in
our Prayer Book at the conclusion of the Burial of the Dead. It is to be
sung as the body is borne from the church.

Through the resurrection, Christ not only rises from the dead but destroys
death -death in all its forms. And as members of Christ's risen body we are
called to trample down death.

What does it mean to trample down death? It means to confront all that is
death-dealing: greed, disease, poverty, hunger, violence, war, oppression,
neglect of the needy and vulnerable, pollution of our planet, disregard for
the dignity of all people, and - yes - legalised executions carried out for
the presumed good of society. All of these are within our human power to
overcome. We in virtue of the power of Christ's Spirit at work within us are
able to be instruments of his death-destroying love. With this in mind we
keep the Easter feast.

During these anxious days may we who have been baptised into Christ renew
our solidarity with the Risen One, and trample down death with a battle cry
of alleluia on our lips.

The Most Revd Frank T. Griswold