From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Gay & Lesbian Military Personnel Receive Church Support

From UfmccHq@aol.com
Date Wed, 23 Apr 2003 12:49:03 EDT

N E W SB B  R E L E A S E
For Immediate Release: April 23, 2003

Families of Gay and Lesbian Military Personnel
Receive Support From Metropolitan Community Churches
-- MCC, the World's Largest Church Group Serving Gays and Lesbians --

Los Angeles -- Don't ask, don't tell and don't receive any help. This is the
dilemma facing thousands of gay and lesbian military spouses, due to the
military's bDon't Ask, Don't Tellb policy.

It's an issue that's being addressed by Metropolitan Community Churches, a
Christian denomination with a positive outreach to gays and lesbians.

Thousands of partners of gay and lesbian military personnel are denied access

to support services provided to heterosexual spouses. How can they ask for
help if government policy doesn't allow them to even identify themselves?

Across the United States, civic groups, government programs, mainline
churches and non-profit organizations are providing a range of services and
support for husbands and wives of heterosexual military personnel.

"Partners of gay and lesbian military people are an invisible group in our
society," said Rev. Troy D. Perry, founder and Moderator of Metropolitan
Community Churches, the world's largest church group with a primary affirming

ministry to gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgender (GLBT) persons. "Due to

the military's unjust treatment of its gay and lesbian servicemembers, too
many GLBT partners have been left without the support and services provided
to their straight counterparts."

"Despite the promise of our nation's creeds, there is no equality accorded to

gay and lesbian servicememebers or their partners and spouses. This has a
very real impact -- a harmful, hurtful impact -- on these gay and lesbian
families who are making incredible sacrifices for their country."

Almost 250 Metropolitan Community Churches across the U.S. are responding to
these needs by offering support groups, pastoral counseling, prayer teams,
transportation and home-cooked meals. MCC has teamed with the Servicemembers
Legal Defense Network to address the needs of GLBT families of military
personnel.

These GLBT families are often forced to survive in isolation as the military
refuses to acknowledge they exist; government agencies, other churches, civic

groups and military support groups have failed to step forward to offer them
assistance.

Rev. Perry, himself a veteran of the U.S. Army, again this week called for a
change in military policy that will allow gays and lesbians to serve openly.

bThis war has brought to light an extremely important issue facing gays and
lesbians,b Perry said. bA nation that allows closeted gays and lesbians to
fight for its freedom, and to risk death and injury, while denying their
families any kind of help, has not achieved fairness or justice. Until our
government will address these needs, I am calling on all churches and all
people of goodwill to respond to the needs of our nation's gay and lesbian
military personnel and their partners."

With 46,000 members and adherents, Metropolitan Community Churches provides
programs and services through 300 local congregations in 22 countries around
the world. Additional information on Metropolitan Community Churches can be
found at <A HREF="www.MCCchurch.org">www.MCCchurch.org</A>. A free e-mail
newsletter is available by writing
to info@MCCchurch.org.

(END)