From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Church leaders express disappointment with papal encyclical on Eu

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2003 14:34:29 -0400

April 30, 2003

2003-089

Episcopalians: Church leaders express disappointment with papal
encyclical on Eu

by James Solheim

(ENS) Church leaders and ecumenists around the world are
expressing various degrees of dismay and disappointment over an
April 17 papal encyclical Ecclesia de Eucharistia (The Church of
the Eucharist) that offers no hope of sharing the sacrament with
other Christians in the near future.

Saying that he hoped to rekindle the "amazement" of Roman
Catholics with the "real presence" of Christ in the consecrated
bread and wine, Pope John Paul II made it clear that members of
other churches were not welcome to communion in the Roman
Catholic Church, nor were Roman Catholics free to take communion
outside their own church, except in highly unusual situations.

The encyclical, an authoritative explanation or teaching on
important church doctrine, also reminded church members that
divorced Roman Catholics who remarry may not receive communion.
In the encyclical the pope did, however, restate a "burning
desire" to join other Christians in celebrating the Eucharist,
and paid tribute to "significant progress and convergence" in
ecumenism.

Still, the Rev. Ishmael Noko, general secretary of the Lutheran
World Federation (LWF), in a statement issued in Geneva,
regretted that "many years of ecumenical dialogue" had not
resulted in a new stance by the Vatican on the issue of the
Eucharist. Roman Catholics, "while respecting the religious
convictions of these separated brethren, must refrain from
receiving the communion distributed at their celebrations,"
according to the encyclical.

Some leaders of the Lutheran federation hoped more progress
would have been made on this issue after the LWF and the Roman
Catholic Church signed, in 1999, a joint declaration on the
doctrine of justification, one of the most divisive issues at
the time of the Reformation.

Many Protestants see inter-communion as a means of fostering the
ultimate unity of the church. Traditional Roman Catholic
teaching, however, holds that the sharing of the Eucharist is
something that is appropriate once Christian unity has been
reestablished, a view affirmed by the pope.

Pain or joy?

"It is clear that for some the encyclical's reiteration of our
still existing disunity will give pain. Some have hoped that as
we have been able to articulate greater unity in our
understanding of the apostolic faith it would be possible for
greater openness in sharing of the Eucharist among the Christian
communities," said Dr. Ann Riggs, director of the NCC's Faith
and Order Commission, in a reflection on the NCC web
site(http://www.ncccusa.org).

"For some it will give pain as the Pope reiterates here that for
the Catholic Church Eucharistic openness, beyond the needs of
specific individuals in particular cases of urgent need and
under specific conditions, there are limits which cannot be
transgressed and from which it is not possible to give
dispensation," Riggs wrote.

She added, "In reading this Paschal message, in the ecumenical
community we can choose to be discouraged by how long the path
is before us. Or we can join with Pope John Paul as he
reiterates his own reflections from Ut unum sint: 'And yet we do
have a burning desire to join in celebrating the one Eucharist
of the Lord, and this desire itself is already a common prayer
of praise, a single supplication. Together we speak to the
Father and increasingly we so with one heart.'"

"I must say I fail to see how Ecclesia de Eucharistia takes
notice of the enormous progress made by the Anglican-Roman
Catholic International Commission (ARCIC) or our Anglican-Roman
Catholic dialogue here in the United States (ARC-USA)," said
Bishop Christopher Epting, the Episcopal Church's deputy for
ecumenical and interfaith relations. "That is particularly
disappointing, given all the years of work by these bodies since
the Second Vatican Council. "

More theological work

In London, Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams said, "I
welcome the affirmation of the Eucharist as a place of God's
presence and action and also welcome the Pope's reaffirmation of
his 'burning desire' for common Eucharistic celebration. This is
an area of work which continues to be important for relations
between Anglicans and Roman Catholics and we continue to work
theologically on this together."

A somewhat hopeful statement from the Anglican Communion Office
(ACO) in London said that the pope "has chosen an appropriate
moment to draw the attention of all Christians to the central
place of the Eucharist in the life of the Christian faithful,
and eloquently expressed afresh the Roman Catholic understanding
of this Sacrament. He speaks of his personal experience of the
celebration of this Sacrament as a way of introducing a
theological exploration of its importance in the life of the
Church, and of the boundaries of its proper celebration, which
include a restatement of the existing limitations on Eucharistic
sharing as defined by the Canon Law of the Roman Catholic
Church."

The statement, signed by the Rev. Gregory Cameron, ACO director
of Ecumenical Affairs, said that "we very much hope that this
encyclical will be adopted for study by the instruments of
dialogue set up mutually by the Anglican Communion and the Roman
Catholic Church--namely, the Anglican Roman Catholic
International Commission (ARCIC), and the International Anglican
Roman Catholic Commission for Unity and

Mission (IARCCUM). From this study, we will hope to understand
more fully the way in which the ecumenical commitment expressed
in this encyclical, and by both our churches, may be carried
forward to the point where a fuller eucharistic sharing may be
initiated between Roman Catholics and Anglicans."

Tangible evidence needed

Prof. J. Robert Wright of the General Theological Seminary in
New York, a veteran participant in the official dialogues with
Roman Catholics for many years, said in an interview that he was
"delighted to notice that the pope still has a burning desire
for communion with the separated Christians in separated
churches but I look forward to seeing tangible evidence of the
additional leadership that he will give in seeking that goal."

Wright said that it was "significant that the pope has issued
this particular encyclical at this point in the ecumenical
movement when, in so many ways, the Roman Catholic ecumenical
dialogue with other churches is not proceeding with much speed."
He said that the encyclical might even "accelerate that dialogue
among leaders of his church who are obliged to follow his lead,
no matter what their personal feelings may be." He hopes that
the pope's commitment would "translate into a fire among those
who are leaders in Roman Catholic ecumenism in his name."

Yet Wright said that he fears that "the prohibitions in
encyclical will simply reinforce the impression that this
particular pope has nothing new to contribute to the momentum
for church unity across the spectrum of the churchesIf anything
it could dampen even the hopes of those in his own church who
have worked so hard for this. Unfortunately in text the burning
desire is dampened if not almost extinguished in the
restrictions he places on that desire, with regard to his own
church and other churches with regard to communion."

The Rev. Finlay Macdonald, moderator of the (Presbyterian)
Church of Scotland, said that the pope "is simply reinforcing
the traditional view that those who do not accept Catholic
teaching should not receive the mass. In this sense he is not
saying anything new."

------

--James Solheim is director of Episcopal News Service.