From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

United Methodist advocates rally for universal health care

From "NewsDesk" <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Thu, 1 May 2003 14:01:42 -0500

May 1, 2003   News media contact: Joretta Purdue7(202) 546-87227Washington
 10-21-30-71B{249}

WASHINGTON (UMNS) - An executive of the United Methodist social-action agency
spoke in favor of universal health care at a rally supporting such a
resolution in the House of Representatives.

The four-hour, open-air rally in a park across the street from the U.S.
capitol featured several members of Congress and representatives of such
organizations as the National Health Law Program, American Public Health
Association, National Medical Association and Association of American Medical
Colleges. The ethnic congressional caucuses sponsored the April 29 event.

"For too many in today's America, health care is not there when you need it,"
said the Rev. Jackson Day, the United Methodist Board of Church and Society
executive who works on health and wholeness issues.

"Our major faith bodies, including my own, consider health care a right for
all, not a privilege for those who can afford it," Day declared. "In the
richest nation of the world, lack of coverage for over 40 million uninsured,
who thereby receive less health care than others or must go into bankruptcy
to pay for the care they receive, is a moral outrage."

He joined other speakers in supporting House Concurrent Resolution 99, which
directs Congress to enact legislation that provides comprehensive health care
for all Americans. It has been referred to the House Subcommittee on Health
subsequent to introduction on March 18.

In his remarks, Day urged affordable health care, efficiently managed and
available to all regardless of color, language or locality.

"We need a system that supports prevention and early intervention," he said.
"We need a health care system that provides continuity of care and coverage."

Day said U.S. people need a health-care system with a sufficient number of
qualified caregivers who are paid adequately and in timely fashion. He also
advocated a system that allows patients to select their providers to best
meet their own needs. The present system is so cumbersome that it is harder
and harder for providers to offer quality care, so that "the health care
system itself is a leading cause of death," he said.

"We are already spending twice as much as other developed countries for
health care," he observed. "Our current system costs too much, covers too
little and excludes too many."

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org