From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

U.S. Congress Welcomes Gay Minister on National Day of Prayer

From UfmccHq@aol.com
Date Thu, 1 May 2003 15:01:58 EDT

N  E  W  S     R  E  L	E  A  S  E
Metropolitan Community Churches
info@MCCchurch.org  .  www.MCCchurch.org

The World's Largest Organization With a Primary, Affirming
Ministry To Gays, Lesbians, Bisexuals, and Transgendered Persons

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: May 1, 2003
Photo Available Upon Request

U.S. Congress Marks National Day Of Prayer With
Opening Prayer By Gay Metropolitan Community Church Minister
-- Rev. Steve Torrance Marks First In MCC's 35-Year History --

Washington, DC -- It wasn't the first time a clergyperson opened the U.S.
Congress with a prayer for justice and equality for all U.S. citizens.

What made the opening prayer before the U.S. House of Representatives
different on May 1 -- the U.S. National Day of Prayer -- was that it was
delivered by the Rev. Steven Torrance, an openly gay clergyperson with
Metropolitan Community Churches, the world's largest church group with a
primary, affirming ministry to gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgender
persons.

"As a member of the clergy of Metropolitan Community Churches, Rev. Steven
Torrance has had a long and distinguished career working for social justice
and equality for God's gay and lesbian children," said Rev. Troy D. Perry,
human rights activist and Moderator of the 35-year old Christian
denomination.

"While gays and lesbians continue to seek full equality under the law, it is
especially moving that Rev. Torrance stood in the well of the U.S. House of
Representatives where our nation's laws are crafted and prayed for justice
and equality for all of our citizens. Tens of thousands of us across the U.S.
and around the world are echoing his prayer today on the U.S. National Day of
Prayer," Perry added.

Torrance, former pastor of Metropolitan Community Church of Key West,
Florida, currently serves as a police officer and chaplain with the Key West
Police Department.

His prayer this week before the Congress marks the first time in MCC's
35-year history that an openly gay MCC clergyperson has delivered the opening
prayer before the U.S. House of Representatives. Rev. Torrance delivered the
prayer at the invitation of Rep. Ileana Ros-Lenthinen (D-FL-18th District).

While on Capitol Hill, Torrance met with Rep. Dennis Hastert, Speaker of the
U.S. House of Representatives and Alvaro Uribe Velez, President of Columbia,
South America.

Perry put this week's milestone in the larger context of MCC's commitment to
Christian social action. MCC has a long history of challenging governments to
provide equality under the law for gays and lesbians.

"Rev. Torrance's opening prayer before the U.S. House of Representatives
marks yet another significant milestone in MCC's ongoing quest for equal
rights for gays and lesbians at every level of the government," Perry said.

"Step by step, we continue to make progress in this area. Last year, the U.S.
Veterans Administration authorized the predominantly gay Metropolitan
Community Churches to provide chaplains for veterans hospitals and veterans
programs. Our application to provide chaplains to the armed services
continues to move forward. MCC has filed an amicus brief with the U.S.
Supreme Court to overturn state sodomy laws -- laws used to oppress and
harass gay people. And recently the Bush Administration granted federal funds
to an MCC church in Florida to establish the nation's first federally funded
adult day care center for gays and lesbians. At every level of the U.S.
government, MCC leaders are working for equality for gay and lesbian
citizens."

TEXT OF THE PRAYER DELIVERED BEFORE THE
U.S. HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
by Rev. Steven Torrance
On May 1, 2003 . U.S. National Day of Prayer

Almighty God:

I thank you for the privilege and honor to be here this morning in these
hallowed halls on this, our nation's National Day of Prayer. We, as a people
of many faiths, religions and backgrounds come together in a sign of unity to
ask for your guidance and blessings on this important day.

We not only remember those who have given their lives to protect our great
country in  military service, but we remember the men and women in law
enforcement who risk daily, and give their lives, to protect each and every
one of us.

As a nation, let us remember that all people have one common origin. Fill our
hearts with compassion for our neighbors and the desire to ensure justice for
all. Help us share all the blessings you give us, and help us to secure
justice and equality for every human being; help us bring an end to division,
and continue to build our country on peace and love. Let us always remember
that despite our differences we are one human family.

Almighty God, bless our leaders with vision, foresight, and with clarity of
purpose as they lead our country. Bless our country on this special day of
prayer, in your name we pray, Amen.
(END)

PHOTO AVAIABLE
JPG group photo of Rep. Dennis Hastert, Speaker of the House, Rev. Steven
Torrance, Rep. Ileana Ros-Lenthinen (D-FL-18th District), and Rev. Daniel
Coughlin, Chaplain of the U.S. House of Representatives, available upon
request.

For Additional Information, Contact:

Jim Birkitt, Director of Communications
Roman Cardenas, Assoc. Director of Communications

MCC Communications Department
8704 Santa Monica Boulevard, Second Floor
West Hollywood, CA  90069
Tel. (310) 360-8640, Ext. 226 or 228
E-Mail: info@MCCchurch.org
Website: <A HREF="www.MCCchurch.org">www.MCCchurch.org</A>