From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

No Subject

We are thankful for the end of large-scale hostilities, the end of an
oppressive regime, and the safe return of our troops.

We acknowledge the many sacrifices, and mourn all the loss of life.

We call for a national day of prayer and reflection, with a special emphasis
on interfaith gatherings.

We further call on the President to distance himself from religious leaders
who demonize the faiths of others.

We are compelled to call people's attention to the continuing suffering of
the Iraqi people, which demands large-scale international humanitarian
relief.

Our religious traditions require that when we exercise power we reflect
deeply on the consequences of our actions and the true source of peace and
security.  In this spirit, we encourage local religious communities to
organize interfaith days of fasting, prayer, and dialogue, which will raise,
among other vital concerns, those addressed in the accompanying, "Urgent Call
For Reflection, Hope and Action," and to commit themselves to donations for
humanitarian relief for the people of Iraq.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org