From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

LCMS - Mission, Synod officers to make offering appeal

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 02 May 2003 10:13:40 -0700

	<http://www.lcms.org>
e-News
	LCMS News

	PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS E-MAIL MESSAGE! This message comes
from a "Send Only" Mailbox that does not recognize replies.

	May 2, 2003
............................................................ LCMSNews
-- No. 31

	Mission, Synod officers to make offering appeal

	Top Missouri Synod mission leaders and officers are writing to
all LCMS pastors and congregational presidents this month to encourage
them to involve their congregations in a new LCMS World Mission
Pentecost Offering.

	In a sin-darkened world, we do not have any difficulty finding
opportunities to speak to people who do not yet belong to the [Lords]
sheep pen, writes LCMS World Mission Executive Director Rev. Robert
Roegner in a letter to be mailed May 12. Our problem is in finding
resources to send under-shepherds of our Lord to gather this flock.

	Signing the letter, along with Roegner, are Synod President
Gerald Kieschnick, LCMS Board of Directors Chairman Robert Kuhn and LCMS
Board for Mission Services Chairman Butch Almstedt.

	In the letter, Roegner mentions the current fiscal years drop
in income to LCMS World Mission, and explains that the trend is
continuing, with an anticipated $2 million shortfall in income during
the 2003-04 fiscal year.

	That, of course, has profound implications for LCMS World
Mission and its ability to carry on mission outreach around the world,
he writes.

	Roegner asks pastors and congregational presidents to encourage
their congregation members to make a special contribution -- a gift
equal to 10 percent of their annual giving -- to support the work of
LCMS World Mission.

	The congregation would then forward, on Pentecost Sunday [June
8], its special offering on behalf of work among those who do not yet
know Jesus, Roegner suggests in the letter.

	LCMS World Mission is offering special prayers -- asking that
God would bless and multiply [the gifts] and use them in His service
-- that congregations may use when forwarding their gifts. The prayers
will be available this month on the Web at lcmsworldmission.org
<http://lcmsworldmission.org>  .

	In the letter, Roegner says he chose Pentecost because of these
words from the Gospel lesson on that day: On the last and greatest day
of the feast, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, If anyone is
thirsty, let him come to me and drink (John 7:37). I especially
appreciate these words because they point out that this offering is not
really about money -- of course, we need money to do the Lords work --
but about calling people to the only source of living water, our Lord
and Savior Jesus Christ.

	*********************************

	  This Edition of "LCMS News" e-News is provided by:

	Board for Communication Services
Contact Editor <http://www.lcms.org/enews/contact_editor.asp?title=LCMS
News&editorid=6>

-

		To subscribe to or unsubscribe from this Newsletter and
many others, please visit LCMS e-News <http://www.lcms.org/enews> .

MessageId= 439
   _____

) Copyright 2003 The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod.
<http://www.lcms.org>
No reproduction without consent. All rights reserved.