From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Thomas Thomsen Resigns as President of Concordia College

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Mon, 5 May 2003 11:33:30 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

May 5, 2003

THOMAS THOMSEN RESIGNS AS PRESIDENT OF CONCORDIA COLLEGE
03-090-JB

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Rev. Thomas W. Thomsen, president of
Concordia College, Moorhead, Minn., announced his resignation at an
April 28 news conference. The board of regents accepted his resignation
effective July 1, according to a news release issued by the college. The
board will form a transitional team to select an interim president and
begin a search for president, the release said.
     Concordia College is one of the 28 colleges and universities of
the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), based here.
     "When Barb and I arrived on this campus in 1999, we knew it was a
very special place. It still is, and we are confident it always will
be," Thomsen said. "The mission of Concordia is one we both embrace.
Much of our work here was to interpret that mission and lead the campus
into the future through the strategic planning process, which has been
accomplished.
     "The plan has seen much success through this initial phase,
including the advent of faculty development resources, new academic
programs, design of a new campus center, a new residence hall (pending
bids) and construction of a new fitness addition to the Olson Forum," he
said. "We leave knowing the campus is poised to bring in a new president
to continue this momentum."
     "We are grateful for both Tom and Barb's commitment to faith and
learning, the foundation upon which Concordia is built," said Ronald
Offutt, Fargo, N.D., board of regents chair. "The college is positioned
in strength, as we look to the future. We appreciate the leadership
President Thomsen has given. As Barb and Tom prepare to leave Concordia
in July, we honor their service to the college. We wish them God's
blessings and the very best as they continue their service in this
world."
     Thomsen, 49, was inaugurated as Concordia's ninth president in
October 1999. He came to Concordia after serving three years as
president of Grand View College, Des Moines, Iowa, another ELCA higher
education institution.
     Thomsen said he and his family will take time this summer to
"reflect upon our next endeavor, of which there are many to consider."
     "We leave this campus with wonderful memories of the students and
alumni who have touched our lives, and the talented faculty and staff
who are truly blessed by God to carry out Concordia's mission," he
added.
-- -- --
     The Concordia College News Bureau provided information for this
story.	Information about the college can be found at
http://www.concordiacollege.edu/ on the Web.

For information contact: