From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Mission church surviving, growing by 'grace of God'

From "NewsDesk" <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Mon, 5 May 2003 17:01:33 -0500

May 5, 2002 News media contact: Kathy Gilbert7(615)742-54707Nashville, Tenn.
 10-35-71BI{262}

NOTE: This report may be used as a sidebar to UMNS story #260.

HONOLULU (UMNS) - The Rev. Min Seok Yang, pastor of Lilly Korean United
Methodist Church, came to America on faith three years ago.

Tall, thin and soft-spoken, Yang gave his testimony as a pastor of one of the
Korean mission churches in America. A mission church is not chartered by any
annual conference and has limited resources from the church.

Yang's Bayside, N.Y., church had a membership of 17 adults when he arrived.
Now, three and a half years later, it has a membership of 50 adults and 30
children. Speaking of his small church brings a smile to Yang's face.

"I was afraid to immigrate to America," he said. "I was an associate pastor
at a large church in Korea, and none of my plans worked at my small church in
New York."

Yang said his church is in a difficult location without adequate parking. He
shares it with another church and has to hold worship services in the
afternoon.

"I believe God has a plan for me and the church," he said.

Yang started a three-year plan soon after he arrived. In the first year, he
asked his membership to "find its identity."

"I asked, 'Why do we exist?' 'What is our mission?'"  He said the church
decided to be a place for "thirsty seekers" and a shelter for spiritual
balance. The congregation wants to care for second-generation Koreans and
become a transforming church that reaches out to the community.

In the second year, members began a fund to build their own facility, a place
where they could worship how and when they wanted, Yang said. They raised
$200,000.

Now in the third year, with another $100,000 raised, members have enough for
a down payment to start building a church.

Smiling, he said: "I know soon we will move in by the grace of God."

# # #

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org