From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Preaching peace in wartime characterizes Spiritual Formation conf

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Wed, 7 May 2003 13:30:15 -0400

May 5, 2003

2003-095

Episcopalians: Preaching peace in wartime characterizes
Spiritual Formation conf

by Dan Webster

(ENS) "Life is too short for nastiness," retired South African
Archbishop Desmond Tutu told participants at the first of two
Spiritual Formation Conferences sponsored by Trinity Church Wall
Street and held at Camp Allen, Texas, April 7-11.

"Have you ever thought of yourselves as a center of peace, as a
pool of serenity?" Tutu asked his audience. "God only does
something in the world with you, through youGod needs you. God
is omnipotent, yes, but God is also impotent. God is
weakbecause God needs you."

The Spiritual Formation program is a new mission outreach of
Trinity, intended to introduce lay and ordained church leaders
to the latest and the best methods of empowering the spiritual
development of individuals and congregations and to equip
attendees to introduce new practices and liturgies into their
own parish programs.

Keynoters and presenters at the conference included Tutu; Walter
Wink, professor of biblical interpretation at Auburn Theological
Seminary in New York; Phyllis Tickle, religion editor of
Publisher's Weekly; Joan Borysenko, author and lecturer; the
Rev. Thomas Keating, OCSO, founder of Contemplative Outreach,
Ltd.; and the Rev. Alan Jones, dean of Grace Cathedral in San
Francisco.

A nonviolent revolution

"Peace never comes from the barrel of a gun," Tutu told a
Trinity TV interviewer following his conference presentation.
Clasping his hands and lacing his fingers together, he spoke of
the importance of recognizing that the Iraqi people are part of
God's family. The lesson we need to learn is interconnectedness,
he said.

"Archbishop Tutu really moved me profoundly," said David Catron,
a parishioner from All Saints Episcopal Church in Salt Lake
City, Utah. "Tutu was the most powerful because of where he
comes from, his personal experience. He speaks with authority
because he has stood for peace when it meant putting your life
at risk."

The theme of peace through nonviolence pervaded the conference.
"It would be a tragedy if churches were not part of the
nonviolent revolution," Wink told the conference as he stood
under the huge wooden cross at the front of the camp's All
Saints Chapel. He said the most important ethical challenge of
our time is to grow a spirituality of nonviolence. "Violence has
become the spirituality of the modern world," said Wink. Our
culture believes "violence saves" and that "only violence can
rescue us from the violence of our enemies."

Nonviolence is still resistance

"When pulpits are silenced because of fear, the church's
integrity is at stake," said Wink, comparing current
governmental influence on the church with that of the Emperor
Constantine, who legitimized Christianity in the Roman Empire in
313. Wink's suggestion for church leaders was to study Matthew
5:38-41, Jesus' admonition about "turning the other cheek."  He
used people from the audience to act out those stories from the
perspective of Jesus using nonviolent resistance. "This text has
become a way of making people subservient," when it is quite the
opposite, said Wink.

He and several volunteers demonstrated what the physical actions
in the story would have meant to those who first heard this
story. Turning the other cheek would have meant claiming
equality against your aggressor, he said.  It would have been
understood as a challenge, an act of resistance. Giving up your
garments until you are naked was a defiant act protesting the
oppressive economic system of the time. Being naked in public
was not a shaming thing for the naked person, he said; under
Jewish law, it would instead have shamed those who looked upon
the naked person.

Nor was carrying the pack of a soldier the extra mile an act of
sheer generosity on the part of the follower of Christ. Wink
acted out the text for his audience, showing that by that act it
would have forced the soldier to break the law and could get him
in trouble with his superiors. "Nonviolence is the heart of the
teachings of Jesus," Wink said. "It is the breaking in of the
Kingdom of God."

"Non-violence is absolutely gospel-based," agreed the Rev. Dru
Ferguson, newly called rector of St. Paul's Episcopal Church,
Dallas. "Christ calls us to a radical way of living and very few
of us, and I include myself in that," she said, "are willing to
live into that."

"Violence begets violence," continued Ferguson, "and you never
bring about peace through violence. That is an illusion."

But not everyone agreed. "Walter Wink was a little too political
for my taste," said one conference participant, who preferred
not to be identified. "I don't know how we can say to Saddam
Hussein turn the other cheek," said Wray McCash, a retired
physician and parishioner at Trinity Episcopal Church in
Longview, Texas.  But he said he was impressed with Wink's
presentation.  It was the first time McCash had heard those
interpretations of that passage of Scripture.

A person through other persons'

Other workshops included a presentation by Philip Roderick, an
Anglican priest in the Diocese of Oxford, England who practices
contemplative living.  He offered a prayer practice for
discernment around any issue.  Catron said he hoped to use it to
help heal the polarity that many are experiencing over the
current war.

"Ubuntu theology" was the topic of a workshop offered by the
Rev. Michael Battle, a parish rector and seminary professor at
Duke University. Ubuntu is a concept of being that comes out of
South Africa and that is summed up in a proverb: "A person is a
person through other persons." Acknowledging that most of us
have been asked if we have a personal relationship with Jesus,
Battle asked the workshop how many had been asked if they had a
communal relationship with Jesus.  No one answered.

The concept of ubuntu, says Battle, is the concept of Christian
community envisioned by St. Paul in Romans 8. The personal realm
and the communal realm are "inextricably tied together," he
said. "I am because you are and you are because I am."

Such a concept of community is what made possible South Africa's
Truth and Reconciliation Commission, Battle explained.
Government officials seeking amnesty sat in the same room to be
confronted by the victims or relatives of those they had
tortured and killed. Tutu was the chair of that commission.

A second Spiritual Formation conference will be held at Kanuga
Conference Center in western North Carolina the week of May 11 -
15.

------

--The Rev. Dan Webster is director of communications for the
Diocese of Utah.