From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Executive Council wraps up triennium with reflection, action

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Wed, 7 May 2003 13:37:28 -0400

May 6, 2003

2003-097

Episcopalians: Executive Council wraps up triennium with
reflection, action

by Jan Nunley

(ENS) Winding up the business of the last three years and moving
on towards this summer's General Convention was the dominant
theme of the last Executive Council meeting of the triennium,
held at a conference center in Ellicott City, Maryland, April
28-May 1.

The council spent a day evaluating its performance and
"graduated" 19 of its 38 members, who will be replaced in
elections held in Minneapolis this summer. But the "class of
2003" left continuing members with plenty to do and think about,
including revisions to a handbook for the next Council and
preparations for renovating the Episcopal Church Center in New
York.

Members also passed resolutions calling for opposition to
expansion or extension of the USA PATRIOT Act and other
curtailments of civil rights and adopting a policy of
disinvestment from U.S. defense contractors.

Rising above gated community'

House of Deputies president George Werner opened the meeting
with a call to reject what he called the "conventional wisdom of
the gated community" as a model for the church.  "The
conventional wisdom' is not the Gospel," Werner admonished.
"Christianity must never be a gated community.'  The ultimate
figure of vulnerability in all of art is that of our savior with
his arms extended on the cross."

"As we prepare for the 74th General Convention of the Episcopal
Church we are called outside to meet the challenges of the
pandemic of AIDS, to global debt, to genocide, to the blocking
of immigrants, to the potential loss of habeas corpus and other
values, which once made us the hope of the world," Werner said.
"This General Convention has an opportunity to lead the daring
and the vulnerable, wisely risking as the wounded loving hands
of Christ.Therefore, if there is tolerance, if there is grace
and generosity of spirit between our houses, if we trust our
system and allow our committees to do their work, if we allow
the drama to play out, I truly believe that we can rise above
the conventional wisdom' of our wider community and this moment
in history and be the church at its best."

In his opening remarks to the council, Presiding Bishop Frank
Griswold related a question asked by Archbishop of Canterbury
Rowan Williams at a private dinner following his Trinity
Institute presentation in New York: "Are we [Anglicans] a
communion or a federation?" The answer given to that question,
he said, has a lot to do with how we view the work of
reconciliation in the church: as "God's work accomplished in
Christ" or as "human getting-along." To live a "resurrection
life," he continued, is to experience the "healing and
transformation of our desires" so that "the structure of our
desire is to conform to God's desire."

"When we last met I didn't know how much I was going to be in
the public eye," he continued wryly, reporting on the aftermath
of critical comments he had made in a January interview about
the way Americans and American foreign policy are viewed abroad.
"Everything has been in absolute terms" in response to his
statements, he said, and many of those responses reflect a view
that "the only reality is the United States and its public
policies" and have overlooked the fact that the question of
"global citizenship" is a vital one for Christians. "How can we,
by virtue of our citizenship in the body of Christ, help our
fellow citizens to see globally?" he inquired.

PATRIOT Act rollback urged

Griswold's concern was reflected in two resolutions received
from the council's National Concerns subcommittee. The first
expressed "deepening concern" with "emerging policies and
practices of our government" that target immigrants from the
predominantly Muslim countries of South Asia. Specifically, the
measure opposed "any further expansion or extension" of the USA
PATRIOT ("Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing
Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism")
Act, passed in October, 2001. The act was originally due to
"sunset" in 2005, but moves to extend it indefinitely and
further expand it (the so-called "Patriot Act II") are underway
in Congress, said the Rev. Richard Parkins, director of
Episcopal Migration Ministries.

"This is an area in which I work every day," said council member
and federal magistrate James E. Bradberry of Southern Virginia,
who with other federal judges has been critical of the
government's legal treatment of criminal suspects with Middle
Eastern backgrounds. Last September, according to news reports,
Bradberry blasted government officials who sought to detain an
Egyptian without bond for lying on government forms, and in
February he repeated his criticisms in a case where government
agents sought to detain a naturalized Jordanian on charges that
Bradberry said might not have resulted in the same request for
"an Anglo-Saxon.'"

"The PATRIOT Act has had damaging effects on our civil rights,
and what all of us need to understand is that the actions in
[it] cover us as well as the people that we're aiming to get out
of the terrorism business," Bradberry continued. "The problem is
that we cannot afford to give up so many of these rights or we
wind up literally worse than the people we're pursuingThe
second version of the PATRIOT Act would allow secret arrests
with no requirement for accountability. It ought to send a chill
over your heart."

Bishop Catherine Roskam of New York agreed with Bradberry,
adding that she "cannot tell you how offensive it is to New
Yorkers that 9/11, which we experienced and which we suffered
through, is consistently used as an excuse for this kind of
oppressive legislation." The council passed the resolution
unanimously.

Divestment from military industries

The second National Concerns committee resolution, aimed at
disinvestment from companies that manufacture military goods,
generated more debate -- mostly over the difficulty of
determining which companies make what products.

Prepared by the council's Social Responsibility in Investments
Committee, the resolution was a response to frustration with the
ineffectiveness of shareholder resolutions filed with defense
contractors. Such resolutions, asking for actions such as the
adoption of ethical criteria for military contracts and reports
on foreign military sales, seem to have little impact on company
practices, and few receive enough votes to be refiled at
subsequent shareholder meetings.

The solution, according to the Rev. Brian Grieves, director of
Peace and Justice Ministries, was to set up a so-called "social
screen" that would obligate the church to disinvest from
companies that are among the top five US defense contractors and
listed among the top 50 that receive more than half their
revenues from military contracts.

The top five military contractors are Lockheed Martin, Boeing,
Northrop Grumman, Raytheon, and General Dynamics. Among the
other firms affected are BAE Systems and Engineered Support
Systems; BP Amoco, also on the list, is subject to divestment
because of its business ventures in Sudan.

Corporate mergers and diversification make it difficult to link
individual manufacturers and specific munitions. "It's probably
the case that one company is not the sole producer of land
mines," explained council member Rebecca Snow of Alaska. "One
company produces the hardware and another the trigger and
another some wire that goes into it. That is the problem with
military contracts -- they could be for uniforms or food or
thousand-dollar toilet seats."

Bishop Francisco Duque of Colombia also pointed out that
chemical manufacturers are frequently involved in
military-related tasks, such as the fumigation of coca fields in
his country, that result in the deaths of animals and food
crops, pollute water supplies, and cause disease in children.

But some members cautioned that a blanket policy of divestment
from defense contractors would raise further moral dilemmas for
the church -- questions of lumping the peacekeeping missions of
the military with its warfighting functions, of the peacetime
benefits of military-funded research, and the effects of
divestment on defense industry employees.

After a pause for prayer, the measure passed 24-10 with two
abstentions on a roll call vote.

Home office improvement planned

While a good portion of the past year's council deliberations
were taken up with the question of whether to proceed with
moving the Episcopal Church Center's operations to the campus of
the General Theological Seminary in New York, Church Center
management still had to tackle the question of what to do with
the current headquarters, now more than 40 years old. When
agreements on the seminary project fell through in December, the
question of what to do with the building at 815 Second Avenue,
just a block from the United Nations, moved to the front burner.

The major problem with the building, according to treasurer
Ralph O'Hara, is the  presence of asbestos in the flooring and
ceiling tiles. No renovation of the space can be done until the
asbestos is safely contained and removed -- and that means
gutting the space, O'Hara explained.

"The need for it is unquestionably there, and we are, in effect,
behind the times in doing it," he said.

The present Church Center was built to accommodate a staff of
more than 300, plus other agencies of the church, but now houses
100 fewer staff members. Potentially, a renovated and
reorganized Church Center would free up to three floors worth of
space, which could be rented out, providing what O'Hara called
"a sizeable income stream" for the church. Potential uses under
consideration include commercial retail space on the first floor
and a conference area and computer training space on the
mezzanine level. O'Hara said consultants have told Church Center
management that a year-and-a-half long "phased renovation,"
which would not require moving operations out of the building,
is possible.

Total cost of the renovation project is currently estimated at
$20-24 million. The council unanimously passed a resolution
authorizing $750,000 to hire an owners' representative and an
architectural firm and continue with plans for the renovation.

Wounds healed but identified

The council heard from director of communication Dan England
about the upcoming Episcopal Ad Project and an update on
progress towards offering church documents translated into
Spanish and other languages. Archdeacon Helena-Rose Houldcroft
of the Diocese of Qu'Appelle brought an update on issues facing
the Anglican Church of Canada, including the native schools
settlement and the New Westminster controversy.

Members took half a day to complete anti-racism training and an
entire day, most of it in private meetings, to evaluate the
council's performance during the last triennium. Encouraged to
reflect on what assumptions and unspoken norms they encountered,
members spoke of communications breakdowns and the frustrations
of unclear relationships of accountability between the council,
its officers, and national staff members. Some of those concerns
also emerged in conversations about a revised handbook for
council members, put into its final form at the meeting.

Hopeful signs identified for the future included "the ability to
learn from history and move on," the spiritual leadership of the
presiding bishop, the inclusiveness of diversity in worship, and
the caring exhibited by council and staff members alike. "The
first thing the resurrected Jesus does is to show the disciples
his wounds," Roskam pointed out during the evaluation. "There is
no divine cosmetic surgery' -- his wounds are healed, but
identified, and we need to move to the same place."

Other items addressed by resolution at the meeting included:

- acceptance of audited financial statements for the past fiscal
year;

- a call for a task force to investigate financial problems at
St. John's School in Guam;

- establishment of a committee to evaluate a request from the
Episcopal Church Foundation for money to expand its gift
planning program;

- a request for the Director of Research to provide an annual
update on the ordination and deployment of women clergy;

- support for an educational resource and video on cultural
diversity in the ordination process;

- support for the establishment of an endowment fund for the
Episcopal Church in the Philippines.

The council's next meeting is set for October 24-27 at the Lake
Geneva Conference Center in Wisconsin.

------

--The Rev. Jan Nunley is deputy director of Episcopal News
Service.