From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: Interfaith Leaders Release Peace Guidelines

From "SCHRAMM, Richard" <Richard.Schramm@abc-usa.org>
Date Fri, 9 May 2003 13:33:22 -0400

American Baptist News Service (Valley Forge, Pa. 5/9/03)--The Rev.
Rothangliani R. Chhangte, director of Ecumenical Formation for American
Baptist Churches USA, was among more than 75 Christian, Jewish, Muslim and
other faith leaders who last week issued an "Urgent Call for Reflection,
Hope and Action," a set of principles developed to lead toward a peaceful
future in the aftermath of the war in Iraq.

The statement was released April 30 at a special summit in Chicago convened
by the National Council of Churches of Christ, the Islamic Society of North
America and the Religious Action Center of Reform Judaism.

In their statement the leaders urged President Bush to "draw back from the
use... of first strike war" and from "unilateral US control over the
reconstruction of Iraq" as well as "to bring the U.S. occupation to a prompt
end by transferring to the United Nations and multilateral, non-governmental
organizations the authority to work with the Iraqi people toward Iraq's own
reconstruction."

The full texts of the "Urgent Call" and accompanying "Words of Reflection"
follow.

"As people of faith and leaders of diverse religious communities we
recognize that we are at a moment of choice even more urgent than before the
war in Iraq began. We are faced with choices between hope and courage or
fear and violence; between a future characterized by global solidarity,
international cooperation and multilateral action or one characterized by
unilateralism and wars by choice rather than necessity; continuing
terrorism; unfettered efforts to extend U.S. power; and the exploitation of
fear.

"Let us not forget who we are as people of faith. We need to go deeper into
our religious traditions. Fear is part of the human condition and is only
addressed through faith. We are challenged now to trust in God and recognize
the source of true security. Our traditions teach us to envision a world of
peace with justice. They promise God's capacity to transform a broken world
and God's expectation that we are partners in the process.

"As many Americans celebrate a moment of military victory, we, as people of
faith, ask all people to make this a time of deliberate reflection.

"As we have since 9/11 and the beginning of the war on terrorism: we call
for greater understanding; we seek to dispel ignorance; we ask that this be
a time of humility not arrogance; and, we hope that all can be mindful of
what we have lost. We are mindful that while a repressive regime has been
destroyed, a country has been left in a power vacuum. We know as well that
those people experience their daily life as one of enormous needs and
insecurity.

"War is a blunt instrument, which provides no lasting solution but too often
leads to further violence. We ask the American people to reflect now on the
price of unilateralism: the cost of war and militarism; the human toll of
the war in Iraq; the erosion of civil liberties in the United States; the
shift of resources away from human need to military purposes.

"In order to reflect most effectively on the choices that we face we call on
interfaith leaders in every American community to gather in town meetings,
teach-ins and other forms of community reflection to explore what kind of
society we seek to become.

"Drawing on all of our traditions that are rooted in justice, compassion and
peace, we say to the present leadership of the United States: 1.  draw back
from the use and threat of first strike war; 2. draw back from unilateral
U.S. control over the reconstruction of Iraq; 3.  bring the U.S. occupation
of Iraq to a prompt end by transferring to the United Nations and
multilateral, non-governmental organizations the authority to work with the
Iraqi people toward its own reconstruction; and 4. make available U.S.
resources as part of a world effort to serve the needs and decisions of the
Iraqi people.

"Finally, we call on our fellow religious leaders throughout the world to
join in convening an International interfaith summit that will provide a
worldwide forum for religious leaders to meet and discuss in depth ways to
eliminate the rhetoric of hate and to end violence perpetrated in the name
of religion. Together we must work to find ways to embody the power of love,
compassion and justice in this fragile and interdependent world. We live in
hope!

Words of Reflection

"We are thankful for the end of large-scale hostilities, the end of an
oppressive regime, and the safe return of our troops.

"We acknowledge the many sacrifices, and mourn all the loss of life.

"We call for a national day of prayer and reflection, with a special
emphasis on interfaith gatherings.

"We further call on the President to distance himself from religious leaders
who demonize the faiths of others.

"We are compelled to call people's attention to the continuing suffering of
the Iraqi people, which demands large-scale international humanitarian
relief.

"Our religious traditions require that when we exercise power we reflect
deeply on the consequences of our actions and the true source of peace and
security.  In this spirit we encourage local religious communities to
organize interfaith days of fasting, prayer and dialogue, which will raise,
among other vital concerns, those addressed in the accompanying "Urgent Call
For Reflection, Hope and Action," and to commit themselves to donations for
humanitarian relief for the people of Iraq."

K/2003ABNS/03ABN70

American Baptist News Service: Office of Communication, American Baptist
Churches USA, P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851; (800)ABC-3USA x2077
/ (610)768-2077; fax: (610)768-2320; www.abc-usa.org;
richard.schramm@abc-usa.org