From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

United Methodists seek children's environmental protection

From "NewsDesk" <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Fri, 9 May 2003 13:37:44 -0500

May 9, 2003    News media contact: Joretta Purdue7(202) 546-87227Washington
  10-21-71B{273}

WASHINGTON (UMNS) - In a pre-Mother's Day letter, the Children's
Environmental Health Network has called on President George W. Bush to
protect children from environmental health hazards.

The nearly 70 organizations that signed the coalition's letter include the
United Methodist Board of Church and Society and the United Methodist
Appalachian Ministry Network.

Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.), a United Methodist, declared her intention to
reintroduce the Nationwide Health Tracking Act. That legislation would
"establish a nationwide network to improve and integrate health and
environmental data - including nationwide data on childhood asthma, cancer
and birth defects," she said in a statement read at a press conference May 8.

John Hill, a staff executive with the Board of Church and Society, spoke at
the press conference, asking the Bush administration to protect all children
from environmental threats.

"We believe each and every child is a precious and priceless gift, created in
the image of God and entrusted to our care," he said of the communities of
faith. "All too often, our government's actions - or inactions - quite
literally devalue the lives of children."

John Wesley, founder of Methodism, campaigned 250 years ago to end the
practice of children working in coal mines, Hill observed. Wesley fought for
clean air and clean water, and he urged his followers not to work in the
arsenic and lead industries long before science recognized the risk they
posed.

Hill cited a pilot project the board has developed in collaboration with the
Mississippi and Louisiana annual (regional) conferences to study, educate and
advocate about the effects of the environment on children's health. The
project found that, in Louisiana, 335,000 children live within a 30-mile
radius of dirty, coal-fired power plants. More than 17,000 of the children
have asthma.

"Policies that 'discount' children and consider premature deaths,
developmental disorders and epidemic rates of asthma as simply unavoidable
'costs' of our current lifestyle are immoral," Hill declared.

He accused the Bush administration of pursuing policies "that, under the
guise of regulatory relief and streamlining, would broaden exemptions and
loopholes in the Clean Air Act, resulting in more, not less, air pollution"
and more, not fewer, cases of asthma.

Clinton, in her statement, noted that a Columbia University study found a
childhood asthma rate of 26 percent among children in Harlem. "How can
children learn in school or enjoy life if they are struggling simply to
breathe?" she asked.

"I also plan to introduce legislation that addresses lead exposure, asthma
and the other most significant issues in children's environmental health,"
Clinton said. In addition, she pledged to fight to curb harmful pollution
from power plants and school buses.

In its letter, the Children's Environmental Health Network and co-signers
asked the president for "policies that consistently put children's health
before narrow economic interests"; "research programs that consistently
invest in long-term, child-focused programs"; and "consistent application and
enforcement of laws and regulations affecting children's health."

The complete letter may be found at
http://www.cehn.org/cehn/Bushcoalitionletter2.html, and the complete text of
John Hill's statement may be found at
http://www.umc-gbcs.org/news/viewnews.php?newsId=399.