From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Disciples News Brief

From "Wilma Shufitt" <wshuffit@cm.disciples.org>
Date Fri, 09 May 2003 14:52:59 -0500

Date: May 9, 2003
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Contact: Melinda Mains
Phone: 317-713-2496
E-mail: mmains@cm.disciples.org
on the Web: http://www.disciples.org

HAMM RELEASES MOBILIZING FOR MISSION
Mobilizing For Mission a paper written by General Minister and
President Richard L. Hamm is available at
http://www.disciples.org/transition. In his letter of resignation,
Hamm noted that, " Disciples need to take a fundamentally new look at
how to mobilize for our mission as a whole church."  This paper
outlines
observations and recommendations that the General Minister and
President
believes can assist the church in claiming and proclaiming its mission.

"I am grateful for Dick's insights as presented in this paper," said
Alvin O. Jackson, Disciples' Moderator.  In addition to his advisory
group of moderators, Jackson will host several Disciples leaders at
National City Christian Church to consider Hamm's paper and provide
additional advise and counsel on the leadership and organizational
transition that is taking place in the church.

Jackson noted that like the Moderator's advisory group, this forum
does
not have formal structure or standing, but is another opportunity for
him to receive input from church leaders.  Jackson also encourages
congregations to read and review Hamm's paper and discuss with
board/council meetings, bible studies, Sunday school classes or other
gatherings and email thoughts or reflections at
transition@ogmp.disciples.org.

DHE MOVING TO NEW OFFICE MAY 13
The Division of Higher Education will be moving on May 13 to a new
office location in suburban St. Louis.

DHE's new address will be 11477 Olde Cabin Road, Suite 310, St. Louis,
MO 63141. DHE's phone service could be down periodically during the
week
of May 12, but phone numbers and web site addresses are expected to
remain the same.

DHE's current lease will expire in June, and the current rental market
makes this a good time to relocate.

"Aside from the hassle of moving, it's a good deal," DHE President
Dennis Landon says. "Even at the end of our new five-year lease, our
rent will be lower than what we're paying now. This move also means
we'll be in one location for at least the next five years. After three
office moves in five years, we'll be ready to put down some roots."

DHE seeks to nurture transforming leadership for the church, working
in
partnership with Disciples higher education institutions, campus
ministries, congregations, regions, and the other general ministries.
Including cooperative efforts with local congregations, DHE helped
distribute almost $269,000 in scholarships in 2002. Recognizing
students
who demonstrate leadership potential for the church and the world, DHE
operates the Leadership Fellows Program for undergraduate students and
works with the Phillips University Legacy Foundation to award
additional
annual scholarships to students attending Disciples colleges and
universities.

WEEK OF COMPASSION UPDATE
Week of Compassion responding to tornado affected areas. For the full
story go to: http://www.weekofcompassion.org/