From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3438 Anglican brothers held hostage in Guadalcanal

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Sun, 11 May 2003 21:57:19 +0100

ACNS 3438	     |		 MELANESIA	     |		 11 MAY 2003

Anglican brothers held hostage in Guadalcanal

The Most Revd Ellison Pogo, Archbishop of the Church of Melanesia, confirmed
this morning that six Brothers from the Melanesian Brotherhood are still
being held hostage by Harold Keke and his supporters in the Weathercoast bush
of Guadalcanal. The brothers were first reported missing about a week ago.

"The recent report from someone who managed to escape from the camp is that
the six brothers are still alive but held as prisoners," the Archbishop said.

Harold Keke, leader of the Guadalcanal Liberation Front, is believed to be
responsible for nearly 50 killings in the past year, more than 20 of them
being over the past month.

Archbishop Pogo has said that he is writing a letter to Harold Keke to
explain the Brothers' mission and ask him for their release.

"The Head Brother and I agree that we must do two things," he said. "To ask
friends far & near to pray for the safety and release of the Brothers, and
for me to communicate with the militants to establish some form of
understanding which will lead to a possible immediate release of the six
brothers."

The Archbishop also expressed appreciation for all the prayers that are being
said for the Melanesian Brotherhood, the Church of Melanesia and for peace in
Solomon Islands.